Quantcast

HTML5 Browser Test, HTML5 Beta Program on YouTube

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 26, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I came across this web-based HTML5 browser test: The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

You simply go to that site and it tells you your browser's HTML5 score instantly. It's a measurement of how compatible your browser is for handling HTML5. I went there with my Logitech Revue and my score was 243 (out of a possiible maximum of 450). 243 is actually not that bad - as it's better than Internet Explorer and the Apple Safari browser scores 253.

YouTube currently has an HTML5 beta program that anyone can opt into. If you want to try it go here:
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

HTML5 will eventually be the future of YouTube. I tried some HTML5 videos on YouTube with my Revue and they played good. The good thing about HTML5 is that it requires less processing power from your processor and uses less internet usage (from your Internet Provider) to stream a video. It's available in HD on YouTube also. I have a slow internet speed (1.5 mbps) and the HD videos in HTML5 required much less buffering for me compared to Flash videos.

On a side note - Dailymotion has HTML5 but it's with a different codec than YouTube - thus it doesn't work that great with my Revue on Dailymotion (because their HTML5 can't be enlarged to full screen or used with HD). HOWEVER, I love the Flash HD videos on Dailymotion better than YouTube. This is because the 720P HD videos on Dailymotion stream at a lower bit rate of between 1.58 to 1.85 mbps. Thus I can pause a 30 minute HD video on Dailymotion for about 1 minute when it first comes on (for buffering) - and then stream a full 30 minute video in HD without any further pauses for buffering. I think that's pretty amazing considering my internet speed is only 1.5mbps. Plus their 720P HD looks great to me - I can't really tell the difference between theirs and other more bandwidth intensive sites. I wish YouTube would lower the 720P bit rate like Dailymotion has it. It's also beneficial for people who have internet providers with usage caps (because when you stream at the lower bit rate you are using less usage).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting, I just ran a test on my mac,
    using Safari, with Lion, got a score of 305.

3. dbuss

dbuss New Member

I just ran the test on my Xoom with three different browsers.

Chrome - 222
    Firefox - 249
    Opera - 269

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Using Opera?

Just curious, what system are you testing that on for curiosity sake??

5. dbuss

dbuss New Member

I really don't use Opera. It became available for my Motorola Xoom tablet so I had to try something new. Chrome is my favorite browser

6. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

You have Chrome browser on your Xoom?

7. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

Of course he dose zoom uses andorid honeycomb which is a google software and guess what the default broiwser will be google chrome just like the default browser in google tv is chrome.

8. danger-rat

I'm very familiar with Android, at least up to Gingerbread, and the default browser has not been Chrome up to that point. In fact, up to Gingerbread, there has not been a chrome browser available, at all. I've not heard of Chrome being available on Honeycomb either, but I don't have any 'true' Honeycomb devices...

Looks like I'll have to do some digging...

9. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

Not only that, but Chrome is surprisingly one of the lower performing browsers available on Android.

10. danger-rat

Where do you get the Chrome apk?