Quantcast

HTC Incredible & Logitech Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by networkbuilder, Oct 5, 2010.

1. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

I'm really curious as to if I'll be able to use the phone's 3G hotspot as my internet connection, or if at least the phone as the internet provider via tethering...:confused:

2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

Why would you want too... that's going to be using a ton of data over your phone's 3G connection. I'm sure it will be possible but not ideal.

Ethernet would be preferred.

3. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

It is my only option right now.....I'm out in the woods and can only get Dial-up, satelite, or my phone....(not worried about the data though....that's all a secret anyways...jk)

4. JohnDroid

I see.. you need to get onto your telco to get you some DSL or something...

5. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

Yeah.... I tried. They(verizon) said that there are only 3 residents even on my road, and its all about supply and demand...lol, I can dream of the day of DSL though....or strike it rich and pay for a direct T-1.

6. JohnDroid

Maybe ask them about ISDN? It's not a ton of bandwidth but it's low latency. Regardless of how many people who are on your street, if you really wanted to get after it you should call your state's public utility commission. Verizon gets a ton of tax money from all their customers specifically to put towards rural customers so you aren't left out in the cold.

They can't cherry pick customers. If you push the issue and your persistent, I'm confident you could get a solution.

7. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

Thanks..... I'm very serious about it. I can't even get on board with the casair wireless provider as they say they are at bandwidth capacity already, and I installed their network on the tower that's within eyesight of my house.

8. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

You may have to go with a company like Clear. High Speed 4G WiMAX Modems from Clear | Clear.com Or you could buy an Apple Airport Express and set it up as a wireless network extender. The Airport Express has an Ethernet connection you could hook up to the Revue.

9. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

The company Clear is no different than the company Casair...... just for kicks I entered my location in their site and its not available in my area, nor do they see any future of being in my area. Casair is in my area and just needs to upgrade. As far as the Apple Airport router...... does me no good without a provider to provide the unit to begin with.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  10. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

I think the Apple Airport Express Option will work for you.

11. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

wait.... is the Express a provider or a router? maybe I went to their site and only looked at the router.

12. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

The Express is a Router that can be used as a network extender. Basically you would use WiFi tether or what ever you are using on your Incredible to create a WiFi network. Then you would setup the Airport Express to extend that wireless network and plug your Google TV directly into the Airport Express.

The only reason you would need to do this is if the Google TV you buy doesn't use wireless.

13. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

:rolleyes:there I go overthinking again... I now see what your talking about...just like the second line of my sig. I'm the idiot...lol

14. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

You may want to do some additional research on the connection types that the Airport Express accepts. I know my Droid uses a ADHOC network to broadcast WiFi through WiFi Tether. I use a Netgear Duel band N router and use One Airport Express to Extend the signal to my second floor bedrooms. I also use two of them to stream Wireless Music from my Pioneer Elite VSX-33 to speakers in my Master bedroom and bathroom.

You will probably have to look somewhere other than Apple's website as they only talk about connecting the Express to their Airport Extreme and Time capsule devices.

15. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

I also occasionally use my neighboor's wifi..... he is about 1/4 mile down the road through the woods. We set up a yagi antenna at his house and lined it up to my decibal whip antenna at my house... it works good but I don't like having to share his signal.... he was the last one allowed to sign up with Casair..

16. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

The Revue has WiFi!

17. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

huh...what..... This is GREAT NEWS!!!! I can just use my DINC'S 3G hotspot app then.:D

18. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

19. joeydrunk

joeydrunk New Member

You can use you phone to run you internet but your no really going to be able to watch video the way u want. I have an evo 4g and i did run my bluray internet features off of it. When I first hooked it u I used the 3g but could only watch a few seconds of video before it stopped.4g works pretty good though

20. WLJohnson05

WLJohnson05 New Member

I feel your pain man. I'm out in the country too...only thing we can really get is the verizon air card.