Quantcast

HP, Walmart To Sell $89 Android Tablet On Black Friday

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 25, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

HP, Walmart to sell an $89 Android tablet on Black Friday - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - November 25, 2013

-- HP is offering its cheapest Android tablet yet. The HP Mesquite tablet is a 7 inch tablet with an Intel Atom processor and an $89 price tag.

There's a catch: The tablet will be available exclusively from Walmart, and exclusively on Black Friday: November 29th, 2013.

At least that's the plan for now - if the tablet sells well, I suspect we might see it again. And if it doesn't sell, expect HP and Walmart to unload it as a bargain device soon.

But the tablet demonstrates a few things. First, tablets with Intel chips don't have to cost more than models with ARM-based processors, (although there's already been a fair amount of evidence of that). Second, it shows that cheap tablets in 2013 are a lot better than cheap tablets from a few years ago.

This model features a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom Z2640 processor, a 1024 x 600 pixel display, 1GB of RAM, and 8GB of storage. It supports 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1, has a front-facing VGA camera and microphone, a micro USB port and speaker, and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean software.

The tablet measures 0.4" thick and weighs 13 ounces. It should get around 5 hours of battery life, which isn't great - but did I mention that this tablet will sell for $89?

You can find other Black Friday deals in our Black Friday 2013 Mobile Tech bargains roundup.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Ematic introduces $100 quad-core Android tablet - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - Nov. 22, 203

-- Ematic has made a habit of releasing dirt cheap Android tablets over the past few years, but you often pretty much get what you pay for. But the falling cost of components means that cheap tablets aren't nearly as bad as they used to be, and Ematic's latest actually doesn't look all that bad.

The Ematic EGQ307 is a 7 inch tablet with a quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, and a rather affordable price tag of $100.

It's available now from B&H and Walmart.

The tablet features a 7 inch, 1024 x 600 pixel capacitive multitouch display, a 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, and 8GB of storage. It also has a microSD card slot, a mini HDMI port, a VGA camera on the front, and 802.11b/g/n WiFi.

The EGQ307 is a Google Certified device which comes with access to the Google Play Store and other Google Apps including Gmail and Google Maps.

Ematic also offers the tablet in a range of colors including black, blue, red, and yellow.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

That's a great price for a mainstream tablet, but it's not technically ground breaking price wise - especially when the tech specs are already 2+ generations out of date. BigLots for instance has been selling sub $100 tablets for a while - their cheapest tablet would appear to be a $39.99 Emerson. I wouldn't waste my time/money on one of those, and I'm not sure I'd waste it on this HP/Walmart unit either - even if I could get my hands on one.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I will wait for independent reviews on the Intel Atom 1.6GHz tables but I might be interested if somebody has evidence it performs well before Friday. I think it will outperform similarly priced ARM based tablets now.