Quantcast

HP Chromebox Coming In June (Updated: How To Upgrade RAM)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 6, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

HP Chromebox coming in June - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - May 6, 2014

-- HP’s first desktop designed to run Google Chrome OS should hit the streets in June. Google and Intel made the announcement during a Chrome event today, providing an update on the HP Chromebox which was first unveiled in February.

The HP Chromebox has HDMI and DisplayPort, supports WiFi and Bluetooth, and features 4 USB 3.0 ports. It has an Intel Haswell processor.

Intel says HP Chromebox devices will be available to consumers, but they’re also expected to be used as video conferencing and digital signage devices, among other things.

HP isn’t the first company to offer a Chrome desktop. The company joins Samsung, LG, and Asus in offering Chromebox or Chromebase systems.

2. CatfishRivers

3. CatfishRivers

• Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

I think it's interesting to note that the HP Chromebox also has a model with 4GB of RAM available for only $199.

From the Liliputing article in my previous post:

"Need a bit more from your Chromebox? It'll cost more money... but HP has a $199 model with a Celeron 2955U CPU and 4GB of RAM, and a $629 Chromebox with an Intel Core i7-4600U Haswell processor, Intel HD 440 graphics, 4GB of RAM, and 16GB of storage.

It's the same size and shape as the Celeron model, and the rest of the specs look similar."

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Wow, $629 for the i7-4600U model. I would only consider the $199 model based on those numbers. I think these will be pretty cool boxes but I don't know what the market will be, not big is my guess.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The traditional approach with a new PC technology would be to give the things away to schools, and get people used to getting actual work done on the device.

As for our purposes, I guess I'd need to hear that Chromebook has a "leanback" interface/App that worked well with a decent remote.

7. CatfishRivers

The Asus Chromebox is the number 1 selling desktop computer on Amazon.

Amazon.com : ASUS CHROMEBOX-M004U Desktop : Computers & Accessories

In reading a lot of the reviews - it seems that many people do use it as a streaming device for videos. The good things that come to mind are an-up-to-date full desktop Chrome browser with Flash support. Sites such as NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, Hulu etc all work with this device - as does Netflix and Amazon videos. Also there is full support for Chrome extensions from the Chrome Store.

I gather that most people are using the Logitech K400 keyboard with the Chromeboxes.

For comparative purposes the Asus Chromebox was first available on Amazon March 5th, 2014 - and has 146 reviews. While the Amazon Fire TV became available on April 2nd, 2014 and has 5565 reviews. The Asus Chromebox does have a high Amazon customer review rating of 4.6 - which is a higher rating than any of the streaming boxes - and just about the best rating among desktop computers listed on Amazon.

The basic HP Chromebox appears to be very similar in hardware/specs/price to the Asus Chromebox. However Asus doesn't offer a model with 4GB of RAM for $199 like HP does.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  8. CatfishRivers

I noticed that a few of the reviews state that the Asus Chromebox doesn't stream Amazon, Netflix or Vudu videos in HD. Hulu and YouTube videos reportedly stream in HD.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2DQLBYOYZT8DM/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00IT1WJZQ#wasThisHelpful

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2VV4NBVMC7NWU/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00IT1WJZQ#wasThisHelpful

*Amazon says this is due to DRM issues with the Linux Pepper Flash plug-in. (The Linux Pepper Flash plug-in doesn't support Adobe Access). And apparently the inability to stream HD videos from Netflix on ChromeOS devices is related to Netflix's HTML5 DRM implementation with Chrome:

http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/04/html5-video-at-netflix.html

From the above link:

"We've been working with Google to implement support for the HTML5 Premium Video Extensions in the Chrome browser, and we've just started using this technology on the Samsung ARM-Based Chromebook. Our player on this Chromebook device uses the Media Source Extensions and Encrypted Media Extensions to adaptively stream protected content. WebCrypto hasn't been implemented in Chrome yet, so we're using a Netflix-developed PPAPI (Pepper Plugin API) plugin which provides these cryptographic operations for now. We will remove this last remaining browser plugin as soon as WebCrypto is available directly in the Chrome browser. "

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  9. CatfishRivers

10. CatfishRivers

11. CatfishRivers

OK apparently the keyboard that comes bundled with the HP Chromebox is specially designed for the Chrome OS.

From the above article:

** HP's keyboard and mouse are both wireless and the chiclet-style keyboard features dedicated Chrome buttons for search, back, forward, refresh, and other functions. **

-- I noticed that the keyboard comes with a mouse included and from the pictures it doesn't appear to have a trackpad. Isn't it kind of hard to use a mouse if not sitting at a desk? I like the fact that the keyboard has dedicated Chrome keys - but very often I'm sitting in a chair without a desk or laying in bed operating my GTV with the Logitech Revue keyboard. I don't currently use a mouse.

I also noticed that Amazon has the HP Chromebox for $179.99 (without keyboard) and the Asus Chromebox for $169.99. The hardware specs appear to be identical. Amazon offers the Logitech K400 keyboard for $26.49 and I believe this is the keyboard that most Asus Chromebox owners use. Hmm the K400 keyboard does have a trackpad but it doesn't have dedicated Chrome OS keys. I wonder what would be the other main differences between the HP Chromebox keyboard and the Logitech K400 keyboard? Maybe having a 'dedicated' Chrome OS keyboard is not that big of deal?

Also it's kind of hard to find the HP Chromebox with 4GB of RAM. I didn't notice it on Amazon and on the HP website it's being marketed as a device geared for businesses - it's in a different section from the other HP Chromeboxes (with 2GB of RAM). So here's the link for the HP Chromebox with 4GB of RAM in case anyone is interested (it's $199 on the HP web site):

HP Chromebox (ENERGY STAR) -

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  12. CatfishRivers