Quantcast

How To Win The Streaming Set-Top Box Wars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 31, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

How to win the streaming set-top box wars | TechHive (click for full article)

by Lex Friedman - March 1, 2013

"It's getting harder to find a technology company that isn't working on a set-top streaming box of some kind. Apple, Roku, Microsoft, Google, Plex, and Western Digital already sell these boxes, which can stream movies and other on-demand content from the Internet directly to your television set. And just last month, Intel announced plans to join the club with a TV box of its own that promises live TV and on-demand content."

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Interesting to read and I guess the point is, obtaining content available exclusively for the streaming box is key to winning the streaming box wars. With the price Netflix is paying for original programming, I don't know that Roku can compete and obtain rights for programming available only through Roku. I guess Google could pay billions and obtain rights that might matter but why do that for the ability to make a few dollars per box sold and earn some advertising revenue? I don't think anybody has shown yet there is anything worth fighting for, at least if the goal is a long term revenue generating business. I know Intel is trying to gain traction with services that won't really save the cord cutter much money compared to traditional pay TV but that leaves me out and I would think leaves out most of the others that have left cable for internet TV.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I think the following statement from the article (see below) sums up why pure streaming boxes such as Roku have been more of a commercial success than GTV thus far:

"In so doing, the set-top box that will attract the most customer attention will be the one that makes it not just easy to cancel cable, but also sacrifice-free to do so. Customers don't want to pay more or give up content."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google themselves have even stated that Google TV is not intended to be a cord-cutting device - but rather an adjunct to Cable TV.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Trust me, the cable companies & networks are gonna solve the content problems for the cord cutter. Just like the RIAA slit their own throats by going after Napster & individual small-time file sharers, the traditional media content providers are already alienating their consumer base. I don't believe it will be any one streaming device that will get the credit for the opening of the doors to all users. Monopolies always overplay their hand during times of transition.

We'll see...

Carl