Quantcast

How to: use the Logitech Revue Keyboard with a Sony Google TV device

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by eferz, Sep 9, 2011.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Here's another pictorial tutorial. This time it is for using the Logitech Keyboard with the Sony Internet TV and/or Blu-Ray player.

I've split this up into five sections:

[HR][/HR]

Introduction

The Logitech Keyboard Controller with Unify Receiver can be purchased separately for $99 and it comes pre-paired with one another. Or if you're willing to do a little tinkering, one can purchase a Logitech Revue which includes the Logitech Keyboard Controller for $99 and a separate Unify Receiver for $10 which is a substantially better deal.

Office Deport has the K360 keyboard on sale for $19.99 till 09/10/2011, so I decided to pick it up for the Unify Receiver. After plugging the receiver into my Sony Internet TV, I was only able to get the K360 keyboard to interact with it and not the Logitech Revue Keyboard. I went through the process of pairing it with my computer and found out the pairing configuration is saved to the USB Unify Receiver itself and not the computer or device it is plugged into. After using the computer to pair the keyboard with the receiver, I was able to plug it into the Sony Internet TV and use the Logitech Revue keyboard with it. However, the process isn't exactly straight forward, so I decided to whip up a little pictorial tutorial for those of you who are also interested in doing so.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can skip this section if you don't plan on powering on the Logitech Revue. If the keyboard recognizes that its paired Unify receiver is available, then it will not go through the Unify discovery and pairing process.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

[HR][/HR]
    Pairing

The Sony Internet TV or Blu-Ray player has the drivers to use the Unify receiver and respective devices, but it does not have the software to configure it. Therefore in addition to the Unify Receiver and the Logitech Keyboard, it is necessary to download and install the Unify Configuration Software onto a compatible PC or MAC. Once you've inserted the USB Unify Receiver into your computer and installed the appropriate software, we can go through the configuration process.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

[HR][/HR]
    Troubleshooting

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

FAQ

1. Why can't I pair the Logitech Keyboard directly with the Sony Google TV like the NSG-MR1?
      • The remote which comes with the Sony Internet TV and Blu-Ray Player uses its own proprietary discovery, pairing, and communication protocol. This process is not compatible with the Logitech Unify ecosystem.
    2. Can I use any Logitech USB Wireless Adapter?
      • No, only Logitech Unify Receivers will pair with other Unify compatible devices.
    3. How can I obtain a Unify Receiver?
      1. The Logitech Unify Receiver comes with all compatible Mouse, Keyboard, and combo devices. It is also available separately as a replacement part through most support pages of Unify compatible devices.
    4. Is there a fast way to switch between Unify Receivers?
      • No, you will need to unpair device with the current receiver then pair the device with the new receiver. However, if you intend on switching between systems then you can unplug the Unify Receiver and plug it into another USB compatible host system.
    5. Can I plug in the Unify Receiver into the Logitech Revue?
      1. Yes, and the devices which are paired to it will be supported accordingly. However, the "Managed paired devices" control panel will only configure the internal Unify receiver of the Revue. It does not interact with any USB Unify Receivers. Configuration of the external receiver must be done on a computer with the Logitech Unify Software.
    6. How many devices are compatible with the Unify Receiver?
      1. Each Unify Receiver can support up to six Unify compatible devices. However, each Unify device can only pair with one receiver at a time.
    7. Are all Unify devices compatible?
      • Yes, however, the device functionality is limited to the specific drivers and software support of the respective operating system.
    8. Why can't I right click with a Unify compatible Mouse on a Google TV device?
      • Right-Clicking with a Mouse isn't a registered function in the Android Operating System which the Google TV platform is based. Only the mouse pointer tracking, scroll wheel, and the left-click buttons are supported under the Android OS for USB mice.
    9. Can I pair the Sony NSG-MR1 Remote Commander with the Logitech Revue?
      1. No, the remote which comes with the Sony Internet TV and Blu-Ray Player uses its own proprietary discovery, pairing, and communication protocol. This process is not compatible with the Logitech Unify ecosystem.
    10. Will the Logitech Keyboard an Unify Receiver work on a Linux based Home Theater Personal Computer (HTPC)?
      1. Yes, as long as it has a compatible USB port and standard HID drivers. The Logitech Unify Software is only necessary for additional pairing or removal of devices.

6. flamaest

flamaest New Member

Regaurding all this re-pairing suggestions above:

I know what the FAQ says, but there has got to be a ways to pair the Sony NSG-MR1 Remote Commander with the Logitech Revue...

I like the Sony remote better than the huge mightmare which is the Logitech revue keyboard.

Thanks,
    F.

7. jerswing

jerswing New Member

eferz - Thanks for the clear step-by-step walk-thru! Now have both K700 & NSG-MR1 remotes linked to NSX-40GT1.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for an inexpensive android device (pad/phone) on which to use Able Remote or Android Remote App.

Have a 'dumb' cellphone (Samsung Rugby-2, issued by employer), and only Android pad I own is [very] encyclopedic, but functionally limited, WikiReader.

Any 'cheap date' out there for capable, back-lit GTV remote?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There are many Android cellphones that you can get for under a dollar at AT&T.

9. jerswing

jerswing New Member

Apologies if I misunderstood AT&T phone suggestion - but 'inexpensive' Android phones there appear encumbered by a mandatory 2-year contract @ ~$40/month.

$960 ... not my idea of a 'cheap date' (more like a cute new girlfriend ... with a small cocaine habit)

Still open to any/all viable suggestions ...

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Look, pal. If you only spend $40 a month while dating a girl, not only would she be a cheap date but she's probably spending most of the money on your dates. Obviously, you've never had a girlfriend
    with a cocaine habit. I can tell you that kinda relationship will burn holes in your pockets at least three to five hundred each month. And that's from experience of gallivanting around in the 80's while cocaine was the in drug. Not like today when you kids are pooping designer pills at ten bucks a pop.

It is what it is, you gotta pay to play. Sure, the subsidized price gets you locked into a two year contract. But, forty dollars a month for a cellphone contract isn't extraordinary, especially when the service provider is willing to subsidize the entire price of a three to four hundred dollar smartphone. In fact, if you were able to keep the costs down to just $40 a month then you're probably not using much of the service anyways. So, maybe a smartphone isn't right for you and your better off in sticking with the dumb phones associated with the pay-as-you-go cell plans.

I suspect you're not looking for a "cheap date" or a relationship at all but a one time fee, no courting bullstock necessary, ticket to a little action Jackson. Personally, if I were to prostitute a suggestion for an Android tablet right now, it'd be a Samsung Galaxy Tab. It is almost half the cost of the $960 that you were gaffing at earlier and you won't get locked into a two year contract. But, I suspect even that is a little too rich for your blood and you're looking for a little crack house Suzie. In which case, Walmart does have a Tablets for $199 and under section. Though, you gotta be careful. Just as trying to solicit a little playtime in the Tenderloin, you're going to get what you pay for.

11. del

del New Member

How do I turn off the google tv box with logiteck keyboard?

Thanks

12. 7magic

7magic New Member

Hi!
    Tell me please if i will buy Sony NSZ-GT1 Blu-Ray DVD Player without an original remote and will use my logitech keyboard and mouse which is paired on my laptop with unifying dongle will it work? Is it enough to operate with Sony Google tv if I do so? Thank you