Quantcast

How to: use Multicon with Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by eferz, Jan 1, 2012.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Here is another pictorial walk-through, this one demonstrates how to use Multicon with Google TV. I have split this up six separate sections:

[HR][/HR]Introduction

The new Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update came with a new User Interface. Unlike the original version, the Home screen is less cluttered and displays only a Launch Bar. This bar only has room for seven items in the application dock. While the area above it has been left wide open as an open canvas for widgets. Widgets often take the form of on-screen device (clocks, event countdowns, auction-tickers, stock market tickers, flight arrival information, daily weather etc.) The area available is seven columns across and four rows downs and can be filled with various sizes and shapes.

Naturally, some people would like to use the open space with applications and shortcuts. This will provide a quick way of launching their applications or tasks. This is where Multicon comes in handy. It is one of the many widget accessories that can run on Google TV but isn't available through the Android Market. So, you'll need to find an alternate repository to download and side-load the app. This tutorial is written to help people whom aren't so Android savvy to use the Multicon Widgets with Google TV.

[HR][/HR] Using.

In order to use Multicon, you'll need to download it from an alternate repository such as the GTVHacker Dropbox.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Placing

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Customizing

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Troubleshooting

• I am unable to customize the the icons. The page gives me a warning that "Portrait mode is unavailable for this application. Press any key to exit".
      • The author or Multicon made that screen flip to portrait mode. To bypass this error, install Orientation Control and set the orientation to "Landscape". Unfortunately, Orientation Control is also not available for Google TV in the Android Market and requires to be downloaded from an alternate repository and side-loaded.
    • The Multicon 1x4 widget isn't any bigger than the 1x3 version.
      • I believe this is an unreferenced bug because the app wasn't originally developed for Google TV.

[HR][/HR]FAQ

• How do I reposition the widget?
      • Go into GTV Home > GTV Menu > Select the widget > Choose "Move" > Place it in the desired position > Deselect widget > Done
    • How do I change the customize the widget again?
      • Go into GTV Home > All Apps drawer > Multicon > Edit widgets > GTV Back. All of the Multicon widgets on the Home screen will be outlined in red until you select "Done Edit" in the customization screen.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Reserved for future use.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

7. rsdk

rsdk New Member

How do you add shortcuts? I clicked on the shortcut tab in edit mode and there's nothing listed and no apparent way I could see for adding a URL.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You cannot add URL's with Multicon. If you're interested in that feature then you may want to try either Folder Organizer Lite or Folder Organizer.

9. rsdk

rsdk New Member

Thanks. I want to have certain URLs in the widget area. Folder Organizer looks promising; just have to figure it out.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. The best part of it, is that you don't have to side load, since they are already available on the market for Google TV devices. The funny thing is a couple months back is that I sent an email to both developers of MultiCon and Folder Organizer. Only Folder Organizer has responded, so good for them if you patron their software.