Quantcast

How to use Google TV with a standard cable box?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by FluxEdge, May 23, 2014.

1. FluxEdge

FluxEdge New Member

Hi there. I was wondering, is there any way to use GoogleTV with a standard cable box? And, if not, how would I acquire a cable box with an HD port without subscribing to HD channels? And if I can use Google TV without a cable box that has an HD port, how would I do such a thing? I'm not very technical in this field, so if you could explain in the most simple of terms, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced. :)

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There's no way to do it unless you add another box (such as Tivo) to pass through the unencrypted basic signal. See link below

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/8831-using-costar-cable-but-no-cable-box.html

Also another device such as an upscaling DVD player with Coaxial input might work to pass through the unencrypted cable signal as well. However the cable companies have been encrypting the basic tier - so that means you would need to use Tivo with a cable card or with OTA.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ct-co-star-cable-box-without-hdmi-output.html

The best solution for you would be to just get the HD cable box with the HDMI port.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. FluxEdge

FluxEdge New Member

Thanks. Just a quick follow up question. What would Tivo do? Would it replace the cable box or just be a second? And if I got Tivo, as I have just looked it up, would I also have the Apple TV like it says, or, as you said, just have it pass through?

4. CatfishRivers

Here is a good thread about using Tivo with GTV. With the Tivo you'll have a DVR. Many GTV users utilize Tivo as a tool to help them cut the chord. If you are planning on keeping your cable TV service and want the GTV full integration it would probably be easier to just get the cable box with the HDMI port. If you want to cut the cable TV chord than Tivo makes a lot of sense. If you want full HD digital cable service with Tivo then you'lll need a cable card.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/6021-cable-cord-cutting-help.html

5. CatfishRivers

Hi. I did a bit more research. My cable company (Comcast) charges an extra $10/mo for the HD cable box (they call it an HD technology fee). However for basic cable service they offer a free HD digital converter that you should be able to utilize with GTV (see link to GTV thread below). Check with your cable company to see what channels they will provide with the free HD DTA.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-internet-tv/8147-comcast-hd-dta-hdmi-out.html

6. FluxEdge

FluxEdge New Member

Hi again. As I am not good with the technicalities of TVs or anything of the sort, could you please explain a little more in depth if you could? I appreciate all the information so for, quite helpful.
    What I need to know now is how to go about getting a HD DTA? I have Comcast as well.

7. CatfishRivers

Here is some information about what a DAT (Digital Adapter Transport device) is:

All About Digital Adapters

The link above explains the standard definition DAT. You want to request the HD DAT because that has the HDMI port. Here's a link (see below) with information on how to order it from Comcast:

Order digital adapters

You need to speak with your local Comcast office about any fees involved - as some regions might have different policies. I think most regions offer the HD DAT free for a year with a basic cable subscription. This would include your basic TV channels in HD without paying the $9.95 HD technology fee (you just pay the regular fee for a basic cable subscription). I believe if you want a tier above the basic tier - such as the Digital Starter package there might be a $1.99/mo charge for the HD DAT. For Digital Starter package you wouldn't get the channels above the basic tier in HD. Also the DAT doesn't work with premium channels such as HBO. The link below gives general information about the pricing:

Encryption of Limited Basic Services FAQs

However as you can see from the following thread there certainly is some confusion about it amongst both Comcast customers & reps:

Re: local HD channels scrambled - Comcast Help and Support Forums

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  8. FluxEdge

FluxEdge New Member

Thanks a ton! It's getting late here, so tomorrow I will check everything out. I appreciate your help. Couldn't have figure anything out without your help. :)