Quantcast

How to Turn Off All Devices

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by llcooljayce, May 22, 2013.

1. llcooljayce

llcooljayce New Member

Hey guys,

I have just set up my Google TV (Sony NSZ-GS7) and everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. I can't get my receiver to turn on/off from the remote.

I have a Sharp Aquos 52D64U and a Harmon Kardon AVR 146

The funny thing is that once the AVR is on, I can control the volume no problem so it doesn't seem to be a line of sight/signal problem so I don't understand why power is not working. I have even tried attaching the included IR blaster to see if it made any difference and it didn't.

Power buttons on the device control the following:

TV/AMP Power Button: Turns TV On/Off
    Power: Turns Google TV On/Off
    Function + TV/AMP Power Button: NOTHING

I have no idea what I am doing wrong and how to fix it. Can anyone lend some insight?

Also, is there any way to set up a macro to turn all devices on and off?

2. sonylistens

sonylistens New Member

Good afternoon!

I'm sorry that you'ryour remote control isn't working properly. I would recommend visting this link from our esupport page: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29977/p/47329,70712,70715,70717/c/65,66/kw/remote%20control. It will provide you with some troubleshooting steps that you can use for your remote control. Hope this helps. Thanks! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

• Like Like x 2
  3. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

I have the exact same problem with my Denon AVR-890. Luckily HDMI CEC works to turn it off when I turn off my TV. However, with the nsz-gs7 occasionally it won't turn on my receiver when I turn on my TV. I didn't have this problem with the nsz-gt1 or the Vizio Co-star (either problem).

I'm also having a problem with the nsz-gs7 where the box isn't coming back on via HDMI CEC when I turn the TV on. All devices in the chain, including the nsz-gs7 are set with HDMI CEC enabled and HDMI power on/off enabled. I didn't have this problem with the nsz-gt1 or the Vizio Co-star either.

4. Tracy

Tracy New Member

I want to turn on my TV, DVR, and AV receiver from the Sony remote, but I can not figure out how to set ip up.

i do know that the IR is reaching everything, because it can communicate with every device. How do I set it BP to turn on and off all at once?

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have been using Google TV for two years, I have not tried to turn on/off everything controlled by IR with one click and assume it isn't possible using Google TV. I can do that with my Logitech Harmony remotes, except for the DVRs which are never off since those must be running at all times to record programs.

I can control HDTV, DVR, and AVR with Google TV and believe the mainstream manufacturer products in those categories can be controlled by Google TV. In my case, all three AVRs are Yamaha, all three DVRs are TiVo and the HDTVs are from mainstream manufacturers.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

It's perfectly possible with Google TV. I've been doing it with my Sony NSZ-GT1 for well over a year now via HDMI CEC. I turn on or off the TV using the GTV remote and everything in the chain turns on or off with it automatically. It's not sending multiple commands like a Harmony remote configured to turn on/off all devices, it's just sending the one command to the TV and the other devices are properly utilizing HDMI CEC to turn on/off with it. This is with a Panasonic TV, Denon receiver and Sony GTV box.

The Sony NSZ-GS7 does turn off via HDMI CEC properly along with the TV and AV receiver but it doesn't turn on properly (or come out of sleep in my case) after it's been off/sleeping for an extended period (over night). It also won't shut off the receiver via the function+power button like it's supposed to even though it controls the receiver's volume just fine via IR. It's possible I have a code selected for the receiver that's only partially correct though. I haven't tested with other codes since the intial setup test was just checking volume up/down.

7. Tracy

Tracy New Member

Thanks. I will explore this path.

Same here, but there is a submenu item in GTV that will power off my receiver (Onkyo TX-NE515.) Yet, I can find no way to get that command sending from a higher level, or from an assignable button.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Yes, if all devices support HDMI CEC and all work properly, the command to power everything off that can be powered off can certainly originate from Google TV, that isn't the same as powering off everything with Google TV. I don't have that situation, HDMI CEC turns off nothing in my three systems, but of course can turn off all IR devices that will power off with an IR command using a Harmony remote or can power off each one at a time with Google TV. I can power off three different Yamaha AVRs with three different Google TV boxes, all with the Google TV AVR power button. The models I use are the RX-V663, RX-V471 ,and HTR-5490 and I will assume dozens of other Yamaha models can be powered off by IR command from Google TV. My RX-V471 might support HDMI-CEC but if it does, it is the only AVR I use that does but I haven't tried to get that working and will just continue to power it off using the IR command.

If any DVR can be powered off by Google TV IR or HDMI CEC, I would be surprised. I can go through the TiVo menu and put my TiVos in standby from Google TV but all that does is turn off the video output, the TiVo is still running.