Quantcast

How to stream movies from a router/network drive?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by tls1, Mar 29, 2013.

1. tls1

tls1 New Member

Hi all,

I have an ASUS RT-N56U router which the Sony is wirelessly connected to. On the Router is a USB drive. I can see the drive from my wireless laptop (eg:\\192.168.1.1\folder\...). I can copy stuff back and forth from the laptop to this drive. How can I see this drive in the media player in the Sony Google box? In the Sony I can see the USB memory stick I plugged in the back.

Thanks to point me in the right direction?

Cheers!
    Terry

2. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Youll need to use a network ready player app, not sure about the sony stock player but Avia Media or ViMu or even Mizzuu should do the trick...you can find them all in the play store and they are all GTV ready. Enjoy!

3. tls1

tls1 New Member

Great! Thanks! Which would you recommend and why?

4. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Honestly I use Plex but it requires a server on a seperate machine, if I had to choose ViMu is more stable in my opinion, Mizuu has problems scanning my library for some reason, ViMu has yet to let me down, but it is a paid app, Avia will get the job done as a free version.

5. tls1

tls1 New Member

I guess I'll try Avia for free and if I have problems upgrade to Vimu for $.

Thanks!
    Terry

• Like Like x 2
  6. tls1

tls1 New Member

Hi,

I installed the Avia free version. I seached all the options within Avia and I cannot figure out how to navigate to the USB drive connected to my router? I guess I missed a step somewhere? Do I need to install an additional app? I see DLNA all over the place but not sure what to do.

If anyone could point me to some directions would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    Happy Holidays!
    Terry

7. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Don't bother.. It will not work with GTV. I have a Netgear Router, I tried the exact thing you are doing, and got exactly the same result as yours. I did the impossible to make this work with all the apps mentioned above. I came to the conclusion that it is a GTV thing, it lacks support to connect to a drive connected to a router. The same way that GTV is missing so many features this is just another feature that is missing ... My rule of thumb is if you find yourself spending days trying to get something to work, then most likely it is not suppose to work.

8. jschall

jschall Member

Here is how I stream movies across my LAN from a USB hard drive connected to my Cisco Router at 192.168.1.1:

- open ES File Explorer on GS7
    - open the LAN page (drop-down menu at top left OR swipe to the next screen right)
    - select the server seen at 192.168.1.1
    - drill down to the movie file and open it
    - ES will ask you which app to use to open the file
    - watch movie

• Like Like x 4
  9. tls1

tls1 New Member

Thanks!

I'll try it. Note to others. You have to install the ES File Explorer from the Store (or whatever Google calls it :) ) ...

Cheers!
    Terry

10. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

My bad.....Avia does not support network shares....again its one I don't use often, my appologies, I was wrong and sent you on a wild goose chase.

ViMu does support Windows shares(smb), as well as WebDav, NFS, and HTTP stream URL. Mizuu appears to support most network structures as well. You are going to have to add your shares manually.

E.S. Explorer is definatly another "free" option and will get the job done, what it will not do is be a "pretty solution".
    Again I offer my sincerest apologies for sending you on that goose chase, it was not my intention to offer up misinformation, but to merely offer options.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tls1

tls1 New Member

No worries!
    Have a great holiday!
    Terry

12. tls1

tls1 New Member

I installed the ES File manager. Very easy to use. I was very easily able to find my network share. I found my AVI files and it showed them with an icon that looked like play. When I click it says inable to play the file. I have the google original media player installed and Avia installed. I don't know how to set/change the default player. Change from Media Player to Avia.

I didn't try the other players yet because those 2 players (Vimu and Mizuu) are not free :(. I have to ready some reviews and what not before I drop a dollar :) ...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Terry

13. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Sounds to me like it might not like the codec, but for me it just askes me what player i want to use when i select a file, it will also give me the option to set as "default". It has been a long day for me and instead of sending you on another goose chase because I am not thinking clearly i am going to have to sleep on it, hopefully a sony owner will pop in and offer up some suggestions in the mean time. Have you tried any other files?

14. tls1

tls1 New Member

I copied the files to a USB stick and they played perfectly (with both players: the original sony and Avia) so it's not the codec.

Cheers!
    Terry

15. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

16. tls1

tls1 New Member

I did do a test using my laptop wirelessly. I navigated to the drive ftp://192.168.1.1/movies in windows explorer and double clicked on an AVI movie. The mouse pointer turned to an hour glass. It took a good minute like that until it started. I suspect it wanted to copy a good percentage of the file (if not all) to the local machine before starting. But it started and life was good :).

So maybe on the google box its trying to do the same thing. Are there stream setting somewhere for this?

Thanks!
    Terry

17. tls1

tls1 New Member

just to be sure... I setup a NAS system from an old computer... some pretty easy instructions here hxxp:/www.pcworld.com/article/255596/how_to_convert_an_old_pc_into_a_modern_server.html .
    its faster than the USB drive. From my laptop wireless to the NAS ethernet connection on the router, the upload time is rock solid at 5.04 MB/second. Was about 3 with the USB drive connected to the router. Maybe I'll crack open the USB drive and put it in the NAS.

Next I'll try to stream a video on the Sony GTV.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Excellent, IMHO a dedicated file server will always outperform a drive attached to a router. The router has enough going on with its limited processing power to handle file serving effectively. Again thats just my opinion for some they work great, others not so much :D I will keep my fingers crossed and hope you are able to getting working good....now if you like to "tinker" you could always throw linux on that machine and install plex media server and really have a grand old time :D

19. Pollie

Pollie New Member

You could try router/NAS with DLNA/UPnP supporting and ArkMC app for streaming well

20. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I have HDD (with video files) connected to my Linksys router's USB port and I use ViMu, it works great and very easy to use. To me, for $3, It's worth every penny plus the developer is active on these forums so if you have any issues the developer will work with you to address them. I believe there is a "Lite" version for free that you can try.