Quantcast

How to spend my money(AKA What to buy)

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by its.mike, Sep 13, 2011.

1. its.mike

its.mike New Member

Okay, so the jist of the matter is I recently had a house fire and lost everything. I've been wanting a GTV for a while and almost bought the Revue back in February but was kind of put off by the lack of development by both the Google Devs and the Homebrew Devs. Nothing against the guys who spend countless hours hacking away at our toys, but it just seemed like the progress was at stalemate. And now it seems Gingerbread is on the way by the end of the year, So I'm back on the hunt.

Now I'm asking your guy's advice in picking a device.

Some Criteria so to speak.

• I'm sure on whether or not I want a standalone device or something built into the TV.
    • I don't need one that plays BluRays as I'll be replacing my PS3.
    • Its for a bedroom so I don't need a 100' screen.
    • I'd like to keep the budget under $1000 (for both if a standalone unit).

So what do you think I should go with?

2. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Hi Mike.
    I've only had the Revue for about a month now, and I don't have any experience with other GTV devices, so I can't really give you any advice on what to buy; it really depends on what you want to use the device for, be it a set top box like the revue, or a GTV enabled television.
    I don't have the Revue connected to my cable box because it's a Motorola (Motorola limits the number of devices connected via HDMI to 2). So I use the Revue as a seperate device in my entertainment system, just like I would have a DVD player, CD player, etc.
    We use it to browse the internet just like we would on a computer, and we also use it for Netflix and Amazon. I can also stream music stored on my computer.
    So far, we like it a lot. Surfing the 'net works great (thanks to the keyboard).
    We're still on the free trials of Netflix and Amazon, and so far they both work fine.
    Not much I know, but hopefully this will give you at least some info to help.
    Most importantly, my sincere hopes that you'll bounce back quickly from the fire.

Jack