Quantcast

How to: setup "other" devices with the Logitech Revue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by eferz, Aug 28, 2011.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Since I'm constantly asked, "How do I do set up a "different" device with a Revue", I thought it would be beneficial to share these instructions and answers to everyone. I decided to divide this thread into three major parts concerning the top most frequently queried subjects in regards to setting up the Revue with "other" devices:

Some other setups:

Troubleshooting:

[HR][/HR]
    Compatibility: Part 1

One of the often asked question about the Logitech Revue is whether or not a particular device is compatible with it. According to the Logitech Support Article 19775, "Revue is an HDMI certified device and will work with just about any HDMI set-top box."

From my own experience setting up varied "devices" with the Revue is the following necessary:

• Video output via HDMI
    • Audio output via HDMI
    • IR compatible remote control

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Once you have the issue of compatibility resolved then comes the question of configuration. The configuration of the set-top box is straight forward, as the process is described in detail during the configuration wizard. However, enough people have asked how to do it, so I've added step-by-step instructions. In this example, I will be adding a Microsoft Xbox 360 as a set-top box.

Note: While this example is for an Xbox 360 as a Set-top box, the same configuration instructions applies regardless of the brand or model and can also be applied for the AV Receiver or Television.

Continued in next post, Part 2b.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Continued from Part 2a

Continued in next post, part 2c

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Continued from Part 2b

Continued in the next post, Part 2d.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Continued from Part 2c

[HR][/HR]
    Customization: Part 3a

Once you have configured the set-top box, you can also customize controller keys to expand the range of control. In this example, I have setup Set-top box as Sony DVP-CX995V, AV Receiver is Microsoft Xbox 360, and Tivo Premier XL is configured as the TV.

Continued in the next post, Part 3b.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Continued from Part 3a.

Continued in the next post, Part 3c.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Continued from Part 3b.

[HR][/HR]
    Harmony Remote Compatibility: Part 4

Another common issue is enabling the Revue to accept IR commands from a Logitech Harmony Remote.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Application Quick Launch: Part 5

While this is not a feature unique to the Logitech Revue, I decided to added it in since people tend to mistake the [Fn] customization for IR keys with the Search or ["Magnifying Glass Icon"] combination for Application keyboard shortcuts.

NOTE: This feature is no longer available in Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Troubleshooting Video Issues: Part 6

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Troubleshooting Audio Issues: Part 7

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Troubleshooting IR issues: Part 8

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Reserved for future use.

13. mogul

mogul New Member

As a new Revue owner, I just want to say thanks for posting what you know here and at the Logitech forums, as well as elsewhere on the net... Whenever I google my way to a useful post on the Revue, it almost always has your name on it. :)

It looks like I'm like a lot of other people in that I have a Revue, and Harmony (900), and a PS3 (controlled via the Harmony add-on). I was happy to read this thread, which clarified that it is possible to train the Revue to control other devices, which means I should be able to still make use of Hulu Plus, Vudu, etc. from the PS3 via the Revue, use PinP, etc. Great! (I'm guessing the Revue will have apps for those services soon too, but perhaps not with the same quality streaming that's on the PS3.)

Also being a regular gamer, I was disappointed when I read this part:
    Hopes dashed... but then I thought about it a bit and figured I could feed the output from the PS3 to *both* the Revue and TV by employing an HDMI splitter. So I'd make use of the Revue while watching Hulu/Vudu etc and non-latency-sensitive games, then switch to direct output from the PS3 for faster, twitchy/latency-sensitive games. I'm guessing that will work, and I've ordered an HDMI splitter so I can try it out. But I'm wondering if maybe there wasn't a reason that you didn't mention this possibility... Did it just never come up, or is it just considered too impractical for those without Harmony remotes, or... maybe nobody considered it? In any case, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me it's not going to work, or maybe edit the how-to to let others know this is feasible.

• Like Like x 2
  14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. The feedback is very much appreciated, especially contributing to the information by adding suggestions.

Actually to be honest, I haven't thought about it. Sometimes I get caught up in a particular way something should be that I don't think of work-a-rounds. The HDMI Splitter is a very good idea. Actually, its one something which some already employ for 3D content. It is more or less a similar situation when the Revue doesn't support a particular circumstance. So, using an HD Splitter to provide an option for native access under those circumstances is a great work-a-round. Thank you very much for suggesting it and contributing your idea to this FAQ.

15. mogul

mogul New Member

Just to confirm... It works great! ;)

I've also remapped a few Harmony hard buttons and with a little tuning it's like my PS3 grew a sleek functional exoskeleton. I'm now very happy with the Revue purchase, and I hope Logitech puts a default mapping for the PS3 in the Revue's STB database so others have it so good!

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand what you mean. You should have all the commands available to you as the Harmony Remote and can assign them accordingly using the GTV Settings > Input devices > Customize Controller Keys control panel.

17. mogul

mogul New Member

I can teach the Revue about individual buttons with the Harmony's IR for the PS3, but I shouldn't have to. It'd be better if it the Revue had a profile for the PS3 in there in the first place, so if you added a PS3, it would recognize it and map the PS button to Guide, etc. accordingly.

One problem I'm unable to get past is that the Revue's back and menu buttons can't be mapped to anything on the STB side, which means there's a difference in your hand between letting the Revue to control the PS3 and controlling the PS3 directly. (The Harmony is either set to send Revue commands to the Revue, which remaps them to the STB, or PS3 commands directly to the PS3. You can't map the menu and back buttons on the Harmony to operate the same way on the PS3 side in both modes.)

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I agree it would be much easier to setup the Revue's IR compatibility with external devices by name. Although, I am a little confused. Did you follow the tutorial, or did you teach each individual key to the Revue? The instructions in this thread guide you to teach three separate IR commands to the Revue. These three commands are used as a pattern match for a compatible profile from the Logitech Harmony Database. Once a match is made, it will download it. So, this should be the same or similar profile for the Harmony handheld remotes.

The GTV Back and GTV Menu button/commands can never be configured for set-top box. Those buttons are specifically for Google TV activities. So, I'm not quite clear on what you're trying to convey.

19. mogul

mogul New Member

I did, but the best Logitech could manage was "Sony STB". PS3-specific buttons like the PS button are not available in the drop-down list, so I had to use IR to teach the Revue about them.

My Harmony remote works great with the PS3 when not going through the Revue... And that includes the hard Back and Menu buttons, which would usually perform Circle and Triangle (or their equivalents on the PS3 BD remote, which I don't own). Those buttons make it easy and natural to navigate things like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Vudu.

Now, trying to do everything through the Revue, I'm primarily using my Harmony remote to control both the Revue and the PS3 (when in "Live TV"). So far I find I only really need to pick up the Revue's keyboard controller when I need to type something in Chrome. Here's the problem: If you're in Live TV, and you try to press the Back or Menu buttons on the remote, nothing happens because those are reserved to the Revue, and the Revue does nothing with them while Live TV is up.

So your experience using the Harmony remote is different depending on whether you're going through the Revue or not, and that inconsistency, coupled with the long-duration directional presses I mentioned in another thread, make the trade-off when operating the PS3 via the Revue very apparent. Here's what I don't get... If Back and Menu don't do anything on the Revue during Live TV, shouldn't we be allowed to remap them?

20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually the resulting name bares little consequence of which profile was downloaded from the Logitech Harmony Database. The name is the result of the information that you had input for Manufacturer and the respective wizard which you used to add the unlisted device. For example, had you added "Fartknocker AV2000" using the AV Receiver wizard in a similar fashion then the profile would have been be named, "Fartknocker Reciever".

The respective information that you had typed during the Wizard for Manufacturer and Model is only useful to Logitech's crowd sourcing algorithms for Harmony IR Profiles. This is an automated mechanism which automagically blesses similar IR profiles and christens them based on the particular capacity and specifications by Logitech.

There is one issue of finding a compatible profile using the three keys method. Some IR profiles are used by many devices where most of the keys are the same but not all of them. So, if there's a problem with missing keys or incorrect signals then you can always retry the process by using a different set keys until you find the exact match. One way of ensuring that you get the correct profile is to wait for the wizard to ask you for the unique commands for that particular IR profile.

This is very difficult to follow because of the Harmony component in both the handheld remote and the Logitech Revue. This component allows you to configure the "command to button" assignments for different profiles on both the keyboard and the remote. Plus, there are two "Menu" commands related to the Harmony for the Revue; GTV Menu is dedicated to GTV actions and the other called Menu which is for the STB.

For example, the physical "Menu" button on my Harmony 300 for the device profile of the Revue uses the "Menu" command for the STB. The "Menu" button [Fn]+[9] on the Revue is assigned to open the Tivo command on the Tivo STB profile. So when I press the Menu button on the Keyboard or Harmony Remote, the Tivo command is actually initiated.

As for the physical "Power" button on my Harmony 300 for the device profile of the Revue to initiate the GTV Menu command. And on the Revue, the GTV Menu key is reserved and cannot be reassigned.