Quantcast

How to save movie files from the Chrome Browser

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by jpharvey, Dec 2, 2013.

1. jpharvey

jpharvey New Member

Hi,
    I have the Sony GS7 unit. I want to open movie files (AVI, MP4, MKV etc...) from a usenet site using the Chrome browser. The site requires to be loged in, I have an account. When I do a search for a file in the browser, I get a list of links. When I click on the link (.mp4 or .avi), it tries to open in the default media player but doesn't play, probably due to the media player app not having the right credentials. If I click on a .mkv then it starts downloading and I am able to play it within the media player.
    Is there a way to have the Chrome browser to stop opening the default media player to open avi and mp4 files and simply download the files? I cannot right click and Save Target As...
    Is there another media player that could open the file and prompt for the login info, save the info etc...? I bought Vimu but it is still opening the default media player app within Chrome.
    Usenet apps cannot be installed on Google TV... Is there another type of download manager app that can be installed?

2. Travel

Travel Active Member

You could try the player apps "aVia" and "Soul Movie TV," and for downloads try the "Mitty" app. All in the Play store for GoogleTV.

3. jpharvey

jpharvey New Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll give those a try tonight.

4. retroben

retroben Active Member

I have something called Download Blazer that you can side-load to download various things with the "Share Page" option.
    By attempting to play the AVI/MP4 videos with the page ending with .avi,you can download the video
    by selecting "Download Blazer" in the "share page" option from within chrome.

You can actually choose what to save the file as,and it also has type based directory presets for different file types.
    It even automatically starts as the proper directory type of your file,I usually just switch to the Download folder.
    Upon starting your download,it shows one notification at start and one more when the download completes.

Just search "download blazer" on appchina for an easy download (unfairly ironic).

5. jpharvey

jpharvey New Member

I tried Mitty yesterday and it is working as expected, downloading from torrents but I couldn't browse to the newsgroup site and download from there. Only torrents.

I will try installing a few other download managers using apk files. Either Download Blazer or others specifically made for Easynews.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get there!!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  6. jpharvey

jpharvey New Member

First of all, thanks for your suggestions. It has put me on the right track to find a working solution.

Mitty works very well for torrents. I prefer to use Usenet however and after trying many apps here's what I found to be the best.

I use Advanced Download Manager (side load installed through Aptoid). This app has a built-in browser tha allows me to login to my usenet service, search for files with the same functionality that chrome has. When I click on a link, it automatically catches the request and handles the download. I can choose the save location to be on an external hard drive, I can doanload up to 3 files simultaneously. This really works perfectly.