Quantcast

How to play movies from my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by gdstuart, Dec 25, 2010.

1. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

Since the unit is now wifi connected to my home network, how do I locate, search, and play movies that I have on my desktop hard drive? :confused:

Thanks,

Geoff

2. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

I couldn't get it to work with out the help of TVersity. Download and install TVersity on your pc, set up your folders then go to the media player on your google box and refresh the server list. Those are basic instructions, hope that helps and isn't confusing. I just got mine yesterday and that's what worked for me. You'll also have to install ffdshow on your pc but there is a link to that during the installation of tversity.

3. srramalot

srramalot New Member

I used Yazsoft Playback and I can play all my media from my Mac. Using a PC you have plenty of options, PlayOn being a very popular DLNA server. ou can find a bunch of free ones out there that will work as well.

The only thing thats bothering me now is that I can't search the content as of now. Even going into the Settings>Search section, you cant search DLNA content. This needs to be added quickly. Logitech can search DLNA content as of now, hopefully Sony will add it with an update ASAP

4. Bielefeld

Bielefeld New Member

Yeah I am not using a DLNA server but just a Western Digital USB 500 GB hard drive plugged into the Logitech Revue. I can select it in the Logitech's media app however I can't seem to set it to be searchable. I went into the options and tried to add it to the search but it doesn't seem to like USB drives as well.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  5. srramalot

srramalot New Member

I really hope they have an update soon. You should be able to search any content thats on youre network. Right now, you can plug youre hdd into your computer and setup a free DLNA server and be able to search for anything (because youre using the revue). Try that out and see how you like it. at this point I cant search for anything thats not on my box...im hoping for an update real soon

6. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

PS3 Media Server is a wonderful free DLNA server. The only issue it has is with some DTS MKV files not playing audio.

7. srramalot

srramalot New Member

I said in another thread, I use Playback (yazsoft) and I havent had ONE problem as of now.

8. djangofan

djangofan New Member

The Sony Playstations requires that movies be located in a folder called "VIDEO" on the thumbdrive. Had you tried that? Photos in a folder called "PHOTOS" and music in a folder called "MP3" (I think).

I agree though, that the PS3 Media Server software is what you should use, if you need a DLNA server.

9. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

Would I install the PS3 Media Server software on my Dell desktop, or do I need a PS3 to run it?

10. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

TVersity working fine! Thanks for the reference.

Geoff

11. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

PlayOn is connecting but the folders all have no content in them. Opened a tech support question. The Sony box is not officially supported but Google TV is, so this probably will work soon.

12. srramalot

srramalot New Member

Did you try a different server? I tried TVMobili and Twonky before I tried Playback. Both of them didn't work the way I wanted them to. Found Playback and haven't looked back since. Playback was also 15 bucks and youre allowed to run it on (3) computers.

13. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

All I had to do was read the FAQ's...PlayOn works great when you type in g.playon.tv in the Google TV search. I was trying to run Media Player to get it going. Amazing how deeply Sony has their heads in the sand about this. Now all I need is a live NFL feed to keep my kids from rebelling and it's Adios FIOS!

14. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

ota? ;)

15. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

Maybe...I also have a winegard freevision antenna that I just haven't had time to set up yet. Intended it for the vaca house but maybe it's the ticket to cutting the cord at both places.

16. djangofan

djangofan New Member

No, you don't need a PS3. The PS3 Media Server works with the Google TV. I personally think that TVersity is less reliable... it had a problem for me showing itself on my network and constantly needed the service restarted so that my PS3 and Google device could see it. The PS3 media server doesn't have that problem.

17. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

I found Serviio to work the best with my Sony Blu Ray google TV

18. majortom1981

majortom1981 New Member

If you have windows 7 that will also stream your stuff. Just share out your library via media player and the sony box will pick it up.

PS We need a better media player. Hopefully when the app store launches vlc will work.

19. bidger

bidger Member

That's the crux of the situation as far as I see it and I'd agree that VLC would be a fine way to address that limitation.

20. envy

envy New Member

Can you let me know how you got Servii to work with Sony Blu Ray Google TV?

I installed Serviio on my laptop (which is on the same wireless network as GTV). I ran the Serviio server. The Serviio console shows that it is running. I added a renderer profile with the GTV IPAddress and selected "Generic DLNA Profile'. I also tried 'Sony BD Player (US)'.

Then I go to GTV / Media Player. It just shows 2 USBs grayed out with 'There are no devices to display' under Device List. From the local menu I select "Update Server List". It searches for servers but then comes back to the same message of no devices to display. What am I missing??

THANKS!