Quantcast

How to Optimize MP4 files

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by lardo5150, Jan 2, 2012.

1. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

so, I recently just added a ton of mp4 files.
    I am using Plex to watch my videos.

I noticed on some of the new movies I added, there is a ton of pausing (studdering) going on.

After some troubleshooting, I narrowed it down to only files that I converted from AVI to MP4 with Format Factory.
    All my other mp4 files are solid.

I was doing some researching and I read several posts on the net stating that the mp4 files need to be "optimized".

Does anyone know how to do this? Or what program will do this. I did not see any option like this in Format Factory.

2. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

FYI..I use Windows.

3. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

Another update...I have verified it was the converted files.
    I can play all the original avi files with no issues.
    I also noticed that the audio on the avi files is in sync, the converted mp4 files it is off by a second or two.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Optimizing an MP4 container will increase the playablity of the while streaming. An unoptimized file can have metadata in both the beginning and the end of the file. An optimized MP4 has all the metadata at the beginning. This is important for certain players such QuickTime which features such as "Fast Start". This allows users to watch the movie as it's being download (long before the whole movie has been downloaded) from a standard web server. However, in order to allow this the Moov atom needs to be at the beginning of the file.

I suspect that you're having other problems. My recommendation is to try a few of the stuttering movies locally on your Google TV device with a USB drive. This will allow you to differentiate whether the problem is the actual file or if it there's an issue with the streaming process. If it is an problem with the file(s) then download MediaInfo. This will allow you to compare the difference between the files that do play nicely and the ones that don't.

5. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

I did not try them locally, but all the original AVI files play perfectly.
    All my other MP4 files play perfectly.
    I have confirmed it is just the ones I converted to MP4 in one batch (the batch was over 130 files).

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I suspect that you're having other problems. My recommendation is to try a few of the stuttering movies locally on your Google TV device with a USB drive. This will allow you to differentiate whether the problem is the actual file or if it there's an issue with the streaming process. If it is an problem with the file(s) then download MediaInfo. This will allow you to compare the difference between the files that do play nicely and the ones that don't.