Quantcast

How to open Youtube video directly in the Youtube app from shortcut?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Tye, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Tye

Tye Member

Does anyone know a way to open a YouTube live stream directly in the YouTube app and by-pass Chrome and the YouTube interface? (like this: ). The Navi-X program does this somehow.

I'm trying to make direct clickable shortcuts in the GTV interface so my in-laws don't have to navigate the YouTube program or Chrome. Their English and tech skills aren't very good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

That's interesting. ..

I thought it was just me because I was experimenting ways to avoid the 'Aw snaps!' msg, killing cookies and whatnot. I haven't seen the Chrome or Youtube prompt in quite a while. As a matter of fact the page is loading fine now. But I can't set the Youtube app by Default. Everything's going to chrome. Even the Apps store. Maybe the prompt was the aw snaps culprit.

The Soul Movie app still prompts the option but setting it there doesn't seem to effect Chrome links. Hope someone can find an easier way for ya!

Carl

3. Carlszone

Okay, I got it to work on your video. Here's what I did. First check youtube and make sure no Defaults are set.

Home Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>YouTube>Clear Defaults. Hit back and go to Chrome>Clear Chrome Defaults.

Click on the Youtube icon on the video. You should see a pop up prompt. Click Menu, go to the page and hit back. Refresh the page and click on Youtube again. If you don't get the prompt repeat a few times. Once you get the prompt make sure to check the Default box before clicking on Youtube.

*Because the video is in yer cache, you might want to find another video to get the prompt. Any video will do that is NOT on the youtube page, but is a link to Youtube.

Tip: When on the apps list you can simply type the first few letters to bring up the app rather than scrolling all the way down the list.

Thanks for sharing. I'd never have bothered to try to get this working again.

Lemme know...

Carl

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Carlszone

Oh, I misunderstood you. One way is to mail the link to yourself. The link has to be embedded somewhere to be able to make it playable. I believe most mail clients do this automatically. But that might be more trouble for them than it's worth.

5. Tye

Tye Member

Thank you, Carlszone!

Your exact steps didn't work but it put me on the right track. I was able to get a direct link by bookmarking the page in Chrome as a homepage shortcut then rebooting my Revue. After that, when I selected the shortcut it gave me the option to open YouTube links in the app. I've got a bunch of live stream Chinese language channels added now. Truly appreciate the help.

Are you on a Revue too? Our menus seem slightly different.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carlszone

No, my Revue died sometime ago. But the basic Settings layout is the same on the GS-7. Anyway, glad to know you found a way to view Youtube in the way you wanted.