Quantcast

How to Keep Google Play Musci from Updating on GTV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CO2, Mar 4, 2014.

1. CO2

CO2 New Member

I have the Sony first-gen Blu-Ray GTV. The latest version of Google Play Music is useless to me because the search function is dead. You click on the "search" icon and it goes nowhere. One cannot even enter text nor find a search field. When I go into settings and choose "uninstall all upgrades," it reverts back to the factory version and then that lasts for a day before it upgrades to the same p.o.s. latest, useless version.

How can I prevent Google Play Music from updating.

This is like Groundhog Day. It reinforces my belief that Google has abandoned the people who bought into their concept.

GTV: The browser sucks, the music player sucks. GTV is now good for Netflix and YouTube, both of which function as well via Chromecast.

2. Travel

Travel Active Member

Have you tried the ol': GoogleTV settings>Applications> Manage Applications>Google Play Music> "Clear Cache" and "Force Close."

If that fails, and If this is that much of a problem, it'd probably be worth doing a full factory reset.

And, ya, maybe the first generation boxes aren't compatible with the newest version of this app.

Some app updates are coming through with a message in the "what's new" section of the update description that that version isn't compatible with the Revue and other first generation boxes. I just looked-up this latest Google Play Music app version (v5.4 1409N) in the Play Store, and there was no "not-compatible message." However, that doesn't necessarily mean that this latest version is actually fully-compatible with first generation boxes.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm unable to test this because my Revue has an issue with apps - but in a previous thread a GTV user was able to rollback the GTV YouTube app (to the previous version) by going to the Play Store and then going to the YouTube app like he was going to install it. From there on the Play Store it was mentioned there is an option to uninstall update. Uninstalling from the Play Store supposedly rolled back the YouTube app to the previous version. So try going to the Play Store and seeing if that procedure will also work for Google Play Music app. Also on the Play Store there is supposed to be an option to turn off automatic updates.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. Travel

Travel Active Member

Make those terms: "Clear Data" and "Force Stop."