Quantcast

How to install Hulu Plus on a cube?

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by olanin, Mar 23, 2015.

1. olanin

olanin New Member

How to install Hulu Plus on a cube? It doesn't show up in google play, and I can't seem to install the .apk (I have it rooted)

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hulu Plus won't work on GTV devices running the Honeycomb OS. (The Cube runs Honeycomb). I believe it might be possible to sideload Hulu Plus on GTV devices running Jellybean - but I'm not sure if that will work well.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is possible to install a Hulu Plus app on the Asus Cube either. Since it is rooted have you tried accessing Hulu with the browser? I think you will have to change the user agent but if you can get access to the free Hulu with the browser, I would think Hulu Plus will also be accessible by browser. There are a number of claims online that Hulu works with a rooted Google TV using the Chrome browser but I don't know the recommended user agent, although a YouTube how to video should explain everything if you find one.

4. olanin

olanin New Member

I have contacted Asus support, and they are telling me that it (hulu plus) is available in the app store. When I search in google play, nothing comes up. I am assuming that there is no app available anymore, but Asus support keeps telling me that it does work and its available.

---------

Dear justin,

Thank you for writing back to us.

We regret the inconvenience. I will certianly help you out.

I request you to goto the google app store and search the app called Hulu plus app.

Please go throught the link given below:

hulu plus - Google Play

If you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us anytime.

Thank you very much.
    Carl M

Customer Service Center.
    ASUSTek Computer Inc.

---------- Original Message ----------
    Sent : 2015-03-30 00:08:56
    To : "techsupport@asus.com"
    Subject : Re:Re:<TSD> Multimedia ASUS CUBE with Google TV [ID=]

[CASEID=]

It does not show up in the google play store.

Dear justin,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

I suggest you to goto the google play store and install the hulu plus app.

Feel free to contact us if you have any queries.

Thank you very much.
    Carl M

Customer Service Center.
    ASUSTek Computer Inc.

5. ericd

ericd Active Member

Hulu intentionally blocks access to the + app on GTV devices. I could never figure out the reason for this. Every attempt to sideload Hulu + has led to a message that Hulu + doesn't work on GTV devices. I was able to side-load the free version app of Hulu (there's an in-app option to update to +, but I never bothered)
    Dropbox - Hulu 2.17.2.202135.apk
    This is from my Jellybean GTV, not sure if it'll work on your cube.

Since your rooted, can you gain access to your units User Agent String and change it from GTV to another device that'll allow access to Hulu +?

6. ChrisG8

That is what I have read, a rooted Google TV can be used to access Hulu and Hulu Plus with the browser. There is no way to get the Google Play Hulu Plus app to run on the Asus Google TV, it is incompatible, rooted or not. It would certainly be possible for Hulu to have developed an app to work but it never happened and at this late date, I think it is clear it never will happen.

Although I have a rooted Google TV, I haven't tried to access Hulu directly with the browser, I use PlayLater to record Hulu and delete commercials but I do play the recordings using Google TV.

7. ChrisG8

I think the Asus Nexus Player can run the Hulu Plus app, I don't have one to check. I know for a fact the Asus Cube can not run the Hulu Plus app unless it has recently been adapted for Google TV, since the last time I tried, and I consider the chances that has happened so close to zero that I am not going to try now.

I suspect the Customer Service answer is confusing Nexus Player and Cube but there is no benefit to continue to inquire in my opinion.

8. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Yes the Asus Nexus Player does work with the Hulu Plus App.