Quantcast

How to hook up Co-Star to older Plasma TV with DVI to get both video and sound?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Dreamtoys, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Dreamtoys

Dreamtoys New Member

Bought 2 Co-Stars but one of my TV is 60" Panasonic plasma without HDMI input but it has component, RGB and DVI inputs.

I use a HDMI converter or adaptor to hook up my PC using HDMI cable to this unit which provide both RGB out or component out. But the cannot use this unit to work with Co-Star as it showed briefly the V shape logo and then display "No Signal" on TV. So the only other alternative is to use the DVI port on the TV. But I understand that DVI port usually means only video and no audio. So, is there a converter or adapter that will take HDMI in and output DVI video AND audio out?

Please help as I may have to return one of them and get charge 10% restocking fee.

Also, how can I use Co-Star to see movies via proxy servers?

Tx

Michael

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

First off, your TV has to support DVI-D (aka Digital) which is different than the VGA Analog you were probably using before. As far as stripping off the Audio goes, that's typically where an A/V receiver comes in to play.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You are going to have to run HDMI to an HDMI audio processor, such as an AV Receiver and then HDMI>DVI from the AV Receiver. If that display has optical audio in, all other Google TV boxes released to date do have optical audio out and would work. The Sony NSZ-GS7, Logitech Revue, and Sony NSZ-GT1 all output audio over optical output but not the Vizio Co-Star, that was one of the cost cutting measures to sell it at such a low price point.