Quantcast

How to have ur 24/7 streaming channel appear on Google TV Sets?

Discussion in 'Google TV Development Discussion' started by Fran_3, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Fran_3

Fran_3 New Member

Late to the party here but hopefully some kind soul will help give us a quick start w/o having to read half the internet first :)

1 - As I undersand it Google TV is software is being put into smart tv's that allow them to access select content via the web... be that NetFlix, YouTube, or whatever... right?

2 - Where can one find a list of currently available content, channels, and 'broadcasters/providers' ?

3 - As I understand it the software is basically a custom linux version of the Google Chrome browser... designed to run on custom hardware built into certain "Smart" TV sets... right?

4 - Is there a stand-alone Google TV box like Roku or Apple TV's devices?

5 - If the hardware is running Google Chrome... can it go to any web page on the net... or just those with which Google TV has made available? If not are there any future plans to provide complete internet access via Google TV?

6 - Is there a process and proceedure to have a custom television channel available on Google TV like can be done on the Roku device? If so what & how?

7 - What TV's are currently equipped with Google TV? Which are "about' to be released into the market with Google TV built in?

8 Finally, is there a Google TV SDK and developer doc's? If so where?

Thanks for any help on this and hopefully some direct answers to these specefic quick start questions...

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I made a web-mix (bookmarks) for available GTV content. (see the link in my sig below). Logitech had a set-top box for GTV called the Revue - however it's been discontinued. Some new GTV products are due out in a few months. You can go to any web site with the GTV Chrome browser - but certain sites such as ABC, FOX, CBS, and Hulu are blocking GTV. I suggest you use the forum search tool for deeper answers to your questions.

3. Fran_3

Fran_3 New Member

Thanks for the response and the link. Very helpful.

But searching has not produced answers to...

1 - How can an internet streaming television station have their channel added to GTV...
    1a - to show up in the GTV "Channel Guide" or Channel Directory" with an icon like
    1b - or to be accessable as a channel the viewer must just know about to access via GTV
    (in this case how does the viewer access the channel? Enter the channel name or id code?)

2 - Are the GTV "channels" available for viewing online via your computer or a tablet app? If so where do you sign up?

Thanks for any help on getting answers to these questions.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I think there are 3 ways that you could go about this.

1) You could design your live station as a "web app" for GTV (a web site designed especially for GTV) - then you submit your site to Google for approval - and if approved Google would list your web site in a special section called the "Spotlight Gallery". Here's a link so you can see the current GTV Spotlight gallery:

Spotlight Gallery - Google TV

2) You could design your live station as a downloadable app - and if Google approves it they would list your app in the Google Play Store - specifically in the section for GTV apps.

3) You could put your channel on a live feed hosting site such as UStream, Livestream, even YouTubube Live. Then mention it here and in forums. And design your key words so that it shows up in searches for Google TV.

In my opinion I think the first two methods would be preferrable and get you better exposure - but might entail a bit more difficulty. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  5. berrymartin

berrymartin New Member

Thanks for taking time for sharing this article, it was excellent and very informative.