Quantcast

How To Get Crackle To Work With The Logitech Revue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 10, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm on the Revue (3.1 OS) and the Crackle GTV web app in the Spotlight section isn't working. I get a black screen with the circle spinning - but I wait and wait and it never loads.

Crackle
    (click for GTV version of Crackle from Spotlight)

The only way I am able to use Crackle is through their regular web version - provided that I change my Chrome user agent to "generic".

Crackle - Watch Movies Online, Free TV Shows, & Original Online Series (click for regular web version of Crackle)

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Have you noticed that most of the Spotlight sites are more troublesome than the Chrome versions. Spotlight features are dying out. The CNN App used to work flawlessly via Spotlight. Now it is useless. What I've been doing lately, is to only use it for finding sites that work well w/GTV and use the web version. Spotlight has become too erratic to be of any other use to me. Heck, I tested out the movie Blood, a Vampire movie or something. It played perfectly from the website. But via Spotlight the Crackle icon just spun endlessly, never loading.

Grab the sites that work, bookmark em, and sign in or join the actual site. Spotlight needs a major overhaul. A webpage that acts like an App still ain't an App! Anyone check to see how many sites simply don't work via Spotlight. I did...

Btw, Crackle movies are one of the Free choices in the Movies & TV App. And you can view all Crackle movies in the Youtube App.

Carl

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It has been a while since I have watched anything with Crackle but I just went to the site using the Spotlight access, selected La Femme Nikita, it loaded quickly and played about 5 minutes flawlessly. I then backed out, changed the browser to generic from default, did the same and noticed no differences. I do use Crackle often but just not recently and will probably watch something within a week or so and will again just go through the Spotlight access and see how well it works. I know Spotlight access just opens a browser window and don't really know what differences if any should be noted compared to direct access using the Chrome browser. I used a Revue running the most recent firmware.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Carlszone

Hi Chris

I just tried it. Crackle

It still no workee. Also the CNN App today works. But for about a week it showed up but didn't play and all videos were unclickable. Now I'm not saying it might not work at all. But the Spotlight site is erratic. I know it can work, as it has in the past. But there is no rhyme or reason why it works for you today and not for me. And as you say I also noticed the user agent makes no difference.

Believe me when I say I want it to work. What once was one of the best features of GTV is now slowly losing its usefulness. Sites like this one are supposed to make viewing of content easier not another site that needs troubleshooting just to get the content to work. In this case, just to access Crackle.

Glad it works for ya!

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

The special GTV version URL of Crackle ends with /gtv - this is not the same as the regular web version. You can tell for sure what version of the site you're on by moving the cursor to the top of the screen (while on Crackle) - and the URL will show in the Chrome bar.

Once you have visited the GTV version - I believe Crackle uses cookies - so that even if you then subsequently go to the regular web version and click for a video - the site will remember your cookies and attempt to play the video through the GTV version. I was able to negate this by changing my browser to "generic".

I agree with you totally Carl. I find that there are many web sites in the Spotlight section run by "adrise.tv". I have found that all of the GTV Spotlight apps operated by adrise.tv have more ads than the regular version of web sites. (Adrise.tv is a co. that partners with other web sites that offer free content - and then Adrise designs the leanback GTV version and operates it).

I also find the interface to be slow & clunky on some of the Spotlight apps. Also there is usually a larger assortment of videos available in the regular web versions of sites (vs. the Spotlight apps). I find the BlipTV regular web site has much more content availabe than the GTV Spotlight version of BlipTV. The Spotlight version of BlipTV is almost "crippled" compared to all of the content that is available on the regular BlipTV web site.

Two recent examples of Spotlight sites having more ads than the regular web sites are Vanguard Cinema and Snag Films. The GTV Spotlight versions of those sites are run by adrise.tv and are loaded with more ads than the regular web versions. The regular web versions of those site are excellent IMO.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  6. ChrisG8

Carlszone, try running Smart Ram Booster, hit boost now and then try to access Crackle to see if that makes any difference. I did that before I loaded La Femme Nikita but I don't know if that matters or not. I have not had any problems with any Spotlight apps I use but like Crackle, I haven't been using those recently. I am going to see if a free trial I have for Qello is still valid and if so, will sign up and try it soon.

7. CatfishRivers

Chris try Vanguard Cinema and Snag Films - and you will see how inferior the Spotlight versions are to the regular web sites. 1) More Ads in Spotlight 2) Slow & clunky to load and navigate 3) smaller selection of available titles in the Spotlight versions.

On my test I specifically found these results: 1) GTV Spotlight version of Snag Films had two 30 second commercials preceeeding the start of the movie - while the same movie streamed directly from the Snag Films web site only had one 30 second commercial 2) Vanguard Cinema from the Spotlight section had two 30 second commercials. While the Vanguard web site had no commercials.

All of the adrise.tv sites in the Spotlight section (there are quite a few) - are loaded with more ads than the regular web versions.

Here's a link to a bit of information about what the Adrise company does (see below). Google uses them heavily for supplying the Spotlight apps. (My new nickname for them is rip-off TV) -;)

http://adrise.com/

8. ChrisG8

Crackle isn't an Adrise.tv app as far as I know, not sure if you were implying that it is. I just tried Vanguard, a minute ad preceded the movie "Invisible", an Allstate ad and Madden NFL 13 ad comprised the one minute. The movie loaded and played well but it was letterbox within a 4:3 frame, I couldn't get Google TV to frame it fullscreen for 16x9 display, not sure if I have a setting problem within that app or something else is going on. I only played 7 minutes of the movie and found no other complaints for that brief period. I can adjust the display framing another way and live with it as is, I guess, if I decide to watch anything from the site.

9. CatfishRivers

I just tried a movie again on the Spotlight version of Vanguard. Two 30 second advertisements proceeded the start of the movie. On Snag Films it also was two 30 second commercials (from the Spotlight version). Seems as though this is twice the amount (or more) of commercials that the regular web sites serve up. I suppose to some it's not a big deal and everyone has their own preferences. I will stick with the regular web version for my personal viewing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I wasn't implying that Crackle is an adrise.tv app. I just used adrise TV as an example - because Google relies on them for quite a few of the Spotlight apps - and in general it's just another example of why I agree with Carl that the Spotlight apps don't measure up to the regular web site versions.

I just tried streaming the movie called "Flip-A-Coin" from the regular Vanguard web site. There were ZERO commercials that proceeded the movie.

Here's a link to the Flip-A-Coin movie on the regular Vanguard site:

http://vanguard.i2ic.com/screeners/domestic/drama/flip_a_coin.html?type=screener

Yesterday after I registered on the Vanguard site - I also streamed a movie with zero commercials at the beginning.

All movies from the Vanguard GTV Spotlight section have 1 minute of commercials at the beginning.

I was able to enlarge the movie to full screen (on the regular web site) by clicking the little box on the bottom right side of the screen. No problem at all. Did you register on the Vanguard web site? It's free. I logged in to my free account before I streamed the movies from the Vanguard site.

I just tried another movie called "California Indian" on the regular Vanguard web site - and it has ZERO commercials at the beginning. Here's the link:

http://vanguard.i2ic.com/screeners/domestic/drama/_california_indian.html?type=screener

10. Carlszone

Been there, done that. The problem isn't that it can't load. It is that the load is dropped. Hence the hit or miss between various users. Wouldn't be surprised if the problems are geographically related. Besides I also use the Logitech's own booster. It works better than anything I've installed yet. I think somebody mentioned it here somewhere on this forum? Can't remember where I found this lil trick...

Carl

11. ChrisG8

What is Logitech's own booster?

12. CatfishRivers

One other thing that I wanted to mention - is that once you go to the GTV Spotlight version of Blip.tv - it remembers your browser and you will subsequently not be able to go to the regular blip.tv web site - because if you subsequently attempt to go to the regular blip.tv site you will instead automatically be sent to the inferior GTV Spotlight version.

Once you have visited the Spotlight version of Blip.tv - you will need to use the following special URL to visit the regular Blip.tv web site:

Watch the Best in Online Video Web Series for Free | Blip (blip.tv/?skin=new)

13. ChrisG8

With Google TV Spotlight apps and web access getting worse, not better, I must say I am less optimistic than I have ever been regarding the future for Google TV. I sure wish Google could turn this around, we need good news, not more problems.

14. CatfishRivers

I agree Chris. IMO Google TV sales would improve dramatically if an exclusive outstanding app and/or special content would be made available only for GTV users. Something to really differentiate GTV from the competition...Yes Google is adding more content to YouTube and making ala carte TV/movie purchases & rentals from Google Play available - but these things can also be viewed with many other devices.

I was thinking that a unique monthly (optional) subscription package (at a very reasonable price) for a selection of TV shows, movies and special original content made for GTV only - could possibly set GTV apart from the competition. Well it's a thought anyway... Maybe Google could offer a super-duper "Google TV Prime Subscription" -:) Or how about a Google TV channel offering 24 hour a day programming? Hmmm..

I don't think that offering ala carte TV/movie shows from Google Play is that big of a deal. I mean it's nice to have it - but I dont think it will be a huge sales booster in and of itself. A lot of the same content is already available elsewhere.

Content is King. If Google TV could differentiate itself in some way with a superior content package - it would impact sales of GTV devices positively.

15. Carlszone

What is Logitech's own Booster?

Don't ask me why this works. Try the clock App. I don't use it often as it can make your other Apps a bit unstable after. But for troublesome sites or when Chrome is acting sluggish you should notice a big difference.

If you do not have it on yer homescreen, go into Apps and click on the clock App. With the screen saver activated go to Chrome using either the Search button or the home long press feature. I used it mostly for Netflix when I was getting the 'video cannot be played' error msg before the fix.

Test Apps to see if any are negatively impacted. I use a Launcher so that may have something to do w/my Apps & the screensaver.

Lemme know...

Carl

16. ChrisG8

Google Play movie rentlals have been a requested feature, I will look at selection and prices to see if I will use it much. I do use Vudu with a PS3 a few times each month, the 99 rentals and very high quality 1080p HD with Dolby Digital Plus audio makes that service my preferred online rental. About once a month I rent a movie from Amazon using TiVo, taking advantage of their special deals. I am not going to pay $4 to stream a movie, I will rent Blu-ray instead because it is so much better quality. But for $2 or less, the convenience of streaming is attractive to me. If Google Play is competitive, that will be good news for me.

I don't know if there will ever be an exclusive service available only with Google TV, I doubt it, but I certainly agree a good exclusive offering would be a major attraction.

17. ChrisG8

Ha, well I must have missed that discussion and will check that out and see if I think it amounts to anything. I do like Smart Ram Booster although I have been accomplishing the same thing manually for a long time, I like that simpler solution.

18. Carlszone

Hi

My Broadband speeds have been pretty consistent lately. Netflix and AIV are working better than I ever expected. But every once in a while a site will need a bit of a boost. An example is the Fox Gametrax page. On saturdays I follow up to 7 college games at a time. Between the Movies & TV App & the various live scoring pages while viewing the game in the PIP, the Clock feature comes in handy for me.

I only need to restart the unit once before the games start and after the last game (from 12pm to around 1am).

Thanks

Carl

19. macheterox

macheterox New Member

hi there i have a trick to use crackle on spotlight. when open the loading screen press the FN key keep down and press minus button on the keyboard the loading screen minimize a little bit and play movie then ok.. it not much but is something

20. Carlszone

LOL!!!

So the videos play, but the loading overlay hides it. By Minimizing the overlay I am able to see that Crackle wants to work. I can click on a video that isn't blocked by what's left of the loading page, and the movie plays. Another reason to just use the website.

Carl