Quantcast

How to get better service from Sony?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by angrydad, Dec 16, 2011.

1. angrydad

angrydad New Member

I bought a Sony Bravia 310 and the Blu Ray/Google box. I use only bunny ears and OTA channels. After emailing Sony with my full model numbers, etc., they responded that I should call to have a tech advise me how to program the Blu Ray/Google box remote to change the channels on the Bravia. After over an hour with tech support, a supervisor got on the phone and said, oh, you can't do that. (I guess I should have checked here, first.:mad:)

They told me the Google TV would do that, so I don't have to teach my little kids how to use two remotes. I asked if they could sell me the Google TV at the Cyber Monday price of $399, in consideration for the hour of my time it took to tell me something it should have taken 30 seconds.

Tech support said only sales could change the price. Sales said only tech support could change the price. And now I'm stuck with a TV and Blu Ray, both made by the same dang company, that don't play well with each other.

Any suggestions on how to get Sony to cut me a deal? Or am I just stuck?

If I'm stuck, will the Logitech Revue get me Google TV and one remote? Will the Revue work with a separate Blu Ray? I need to get away from the two remote business.

Thanks

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Your configuration will not allow Google TV to integrate the television viewing experience. This is because it has been designed to be an box that you place in between a set-top box and the television. In order for this level of synergy to work, you must be able to channel the over the air television through its HDMI input. There are several OTA ATSC set-top box by Channel Master, Tivo, and a few others that could do this. However, I only know that the Tivo Premiere and the TiVo Series3 HD DVR are compatible with the limited IR codes that Sony includes with their products.

Sure, the nice part of the Logitech Revue is that it does support the Harmony Remote Database. So, if you're IR device is not present in the database then you can at least learn IR codes. So, you will be able to integrate the remotes into a single input device. However, there still is the limitation of your channels going through your television's built-in tuner instead of through the HDMI. This prevents the integration between Google TV and your OTA channels.