Quantcast

How to control a Samsung AVR with the NSG-MR5U remote?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Jamon47, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

I used to have a Philips AVR that I had no problem to setup and control with the GS7. When I try to setup my new Samsung HT-E550 AVR I can't find "Samsung" in the scroll-list of manufacturers when I type-in "Samsung" with the NSG-MR5U !!!

What's the workaround?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

MY EMAIL TO SONY SUPPORT

When I try to setup the AV Receiver control for my new Samsung HT-E550 I am asked by the NSZGS7's Menu to "Enter the manufacturer name and model number to control your AV Receiver/Home Theater System."

I CAN NOT DO THAT AS THERE IS NO "SAMSUNG" IN THE SCROLL-LIST OF MANUFACTURERS DISPLAYED BY THE NSZGS7's MENU.

So, is there a workaround available to me to complete the configuration of the "AV Receiver control" for my new Samsung HT-E550 AVR?

Thanks for your help.

SONY SUPPORT ANSWER

I understand that the Samsung HT-E550 Receiver is not listed under the manufacturer list to set the IR Code to operate it using the IR Blaster. If your device is not listed, try using the codes listed for the component type of other manufacturers such as cable/satellite box or tuner. If you are still unable to control the component, you can try using the code listed in the manual for other component types. Also, you can try to scan through manually with all the listed IR codes to see which one would work. Many electronic products share the same or similar IR remote codes. Simply choose a model number that is similar to your own. In many circumstances this will work. If not, select the Next button and the most common codes will be provided for you to choose from and try until you find one that works.

If all infrared (IR) blaster codes were tried, but the Internet TV does not control a connected device, I suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided below and check the operation.

View Document

Thank you for understanding.

WHAT'S NEXT

I have tried other manufacturers' IR codes but my fishing has not been successful, yet. Maybe one day I will have a big catch....maybe.... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Your primary hope with the course suggested is that they have the same device in their database but sold under another brand name. Devices across brands don't generally share codes because then they'd conflict if used in the same room. Anyway, it sounds like you're either going to have to live with it and hope Sony adds support sometime in the future, or return the GS7.

4. Jamon47

Jamon47 New Member

Or return the Samsung !!

Or live with an additional remote on the table.

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Sure. Those are options as well. One thing I always check when I buy a new component is if it's in the data base for my remote control and/or if there's a way to get it in. Personally, I always have my universal remote on the table. I don't consider the GS7's remote functional enough to replace it, but I do appreciate the partial functionality it offers.