Quantcast

How to close tabs/apps?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by cornishrefugee, Dec 9, 2011.

1. cornishrefugee

cornishrefugee New Member

Can anyone tell me how I close apps and tabs now i've updated? I used to use the old method a lot (Home button, then select the X), but nothing seems to work now.

Any suggestions? Or am I missing something very obvious?

Thanks in anticipation

2. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

You really do not need to "close" apps on Android as you do it on a desktop OS.
    You just switch to another app and work with it. If your system thinks it is out of memory, it will unload unused apps itself.

3. swould333

swould333 Member

my suggestion is.. Don't... Android operates differently than what most people are familiar with.. it's not the resource hog that windows is... by closing apps you're just causing the system to work harder.. this article explains it in better detail...

Revisiting Android Task Killers and Why You Still Don't Need One... - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

But if you really NEED to close an app the easiest and best way is to go to Settings->Applications->Running services select the app you're trying to exit from the list then select the "stop" button...

4. cornishrefugee

cornishrefugee New Member

It's not so much closing apps I do it for. Some websites open up ads in a new tab in front and I like to close those as occasionally they have audio/video which plays over what I'm watching.

Thanks for the responses :)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

5. Josh

Josh New Member

The only way I know of is go options, windows, and close the tab you want. I miss the old way as well

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I can definitely, understand since you don't want to let every application run in the background. Since Google decided not to include the Window / Task Manager from the Android 2.1 (Eclair) version, you'll need to use any option that the to application has to "Exit" option. Otherwise, you can download any of the task manager apps in the Android Market.

For example,

• Long key press GTV Back for Netflix and Live TV to popup a window to exit.
    • Some applications like File Expert, you have to use the GTV Back button to retrace your navigation to the beginning then once more to exit the app.
    • Other applications have the option to exit by using the GTV Menu button.
    • Apps like GTVBox Video Player do not have an exit strategy. For these applications, you'll have to go to GTV Settings > Application > Manage Application > (application name) > Force Close.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  7. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

perhaps an apps manager from the market would do the trick... i dunno.. it may not work on google with all the lock orientation problems, that GTV seem to have with the market.. but its worth a go..

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I use the Advanced Task Killer and even have its widget on my Home screen so that I can kill all the apps outright.