Quantcast

How my Sony NSZ-GS7 peaked to its potential.

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by retroben, Dec 28, 2013.

1. retroben

retroben Active Member

I will make seperate posts for each event.

It started with a memory booster that most people already knew about using.

I occasionally force stop all non-critical apps one-by -one after a few months.
    I did this simply by going to Manage Applications from System Settings,and going through the "All" list,and selecting each one to "Force Stop" them.
    Avoid stopping any apps with a basic Android logo icon like "Activity Stub"
    This includes Chrome as one to eventually force stop.
    Now there is also some other things in the list to stop.

Here is the following things to stop every few months,despite them having the icon.

Package Access Helper,Package Installer, and Search Applications Provider,

The package access helper will not stay stopped.
    Just stop it one time.

That is all of the first phase (wait until I am done before you comment).

• Like Like x 2
  2. retroben

retroben Active Member

The next thing that I started doing is deleting excess storage junk the safer and manual way.

First,side-load 7zipper 2.0 from wandoujia (2.0.1.3),or the more difficult 1mobile for the latest (2.0.2.0).
    For 1mobile,you will need an orientation app to force landscape mode.
    A good strategy is to have the 1mobile app installed,then get 7zipper 2.0 at wandoujia and the 1mobile app will reveal the update in "Manage/App Manager" automatically.
    If it does not,click the refresh button unless other non-7zipper apps already have updates in which case you should click the X on the left of all of the apps to ignore them all.
    With the now empty update list,click the refresh button to reveal the latest update for 7zipper 2.0 so you can update it.

Now to actually make use of this,go to "SD Card Usage" in 7zipper 2.0 to reveal the sdcard directory in details of storage usage.
    You can change the sort order to size and count for the biggest folders,or the folders with the most files in it.

To delete files,click "edit" on the bottom left to reveal a multi select for selecting what to delete.
    You click the garbage can on the right to delete the files.

Go to this directories that start from sdcard if you have thousands of files.

Android/data/me.onemobile.android/cache
    This is the main one that can sometimes contain more than 3,000 files that can really slow things down.
    Delete the Image and Data folders inside this directory to quickly dispose the thousands of safe to delete files.

It is easier to sort by count or size and to just know what you are doing while deleting thumbnail folders and other junk that contain a large number of files to further clean up your device.

And that is all of phase two. (keep waiting,and maybe point out any typos I might have made).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. retroben

retroben Active Member

The last few things I started doing.

First of all,I found out you can even use the connect button while your device is running and on the home menu.
    Every time my performance gets quite sluggish,I do the connect button soft reset method.
    DO NOT USE FACTORY RESET!

All you have to do is hold the connect button down with a pen until the reset menu comes up.
    Then you carefully proceed to hold it down again to reboot the system,careful not to slip off the button during this part.
    You can release it when you see the menu disappear and a quick flash of the rebooting text.

The Final Phase is my most recent discovery,the 0xBenchmark performance exploit!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ro.pca.zeroxbenchmark

Sadly,you can only less difficultly side-load it from 1mobile by quick searching "benchmark" with Ctrl+V then the enter button as fast as you can before 1mobile force closes after using Ctrl+C to copy it from this sentence and then select the one with the white statue holding up blue performance bars.

You can also try to get it through the revived APK Downloader at evozi by copying the play store link from above into the generator.

APK Downloader [Latest] Download Directly | Chrome Extension v2 (Evozi Official)

You will need Wifi AdBlocker to be disabled to successfully download apps through evozi.

If you have the Wifi AdBlocker disabled,or just don't have it,an ad will be in the way of the test type tabs.
    You can still select the 2D and 3D checkboxes to perform all of their tests.

Warning:The 2D tests might cause seizures from rapid color changes,do not stare at it during the 2D tests.

After running the tests,run them once more to get the best out of it.
    I used it every other day for four days to fully max out the insane all-around speed boost.

After that,you don't need to use it again until your device starts getting sluggish again.
    The text benchmark might be what makes text-heavy sites render much faster.

What circle? All I see is the Google Search Homepage.

And that is the Final Phase,I hope this makes all of your devices prove that they are high performance MONSTERS.

• Like Like x 2
  4. retroben

retroben Active Member

Feel free to comment now.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Lol!

It's just too much for a Media Player. Going through that much trouble just to clear memory takes away from the pleasure of any device meant for entertainment. Might as well do what I'm doing and switch to yer computer.

I'm watching TV, posting this message and listening to Slacker Radio w/5 apps open ready w/a quick flip to split screen. Media players must be more memory efficient than my computer which has more than enough ram for my needs. I now regret all the time I spend learning work-arounds on internet devices when I had the solution sitting right in front of me all along.

Until something else comes along, it is easier to use my PC via HDMI. Heck it's all looks the same. A newbie seeing that list of precautionary tasks to maintain performance for yer device will wonder what the heck they got themselves into buying GTV.

Too Much...

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  6. retroben

retroben Active Member

You don't have to use all of the steps,they are just in the order I found them in.
    You can just do the benchmark exploit to get all of the other benefits.

Not everybody can afford to get a computer after buying a Google TV device.
    If I could get one right now,I would haul @$$ to get one as soon as possible.
    I am only trying to help by sharing my experience with increasing the performance of my GS7.

You don't have to be such a jerk about it!

It gets rid of all displeasures caused by any sluggishness.

This is intended to maximize the performance in every way for those that might get stuck without the Jelly Bean update if it never gets released.
    It will not take as long as it did me to do these things since they will know what to do right away.

I didn't know all of it immediately,it took several months since the first phase from not knowing it all before I had all phases accomplished.

Everyone has had at least one system freeze with their GTV device.
    I have not seen a single system freeze since using the benchmark exploit.

For anyone that has done these steps,or at least the benchmark exploit,please tell me your results.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Carlszone

Hi Retroben

I'm not being a jerk, here. Just trying to let ya know how it looks. That is a scary list taken by itself. The things GTV does well w/out the need for a work-around are getting harder to find. I appreciate that you are trying to help folks. But I had just finished reading a thread where someone was asking about keeping a $900.00 LG TV. What surprised me was no one mentioned that it might be wiser to return the unit and buy a nice HDTV and a GTV device. For that amt anyone could afford the PC of their choice w/a large screen monitor to boot if they shopped around.

That person will probably heed folks advice against his better judgment and live to rue the day. Already he is posting that it is not living up to what he hoped it would. For him this is just the beginning of sorrows! Notice after the Jelly Bean update LG and Google went silent. They just threw that damned update out there...Kaplunk!!! Now folks are searching blindly for Flash alternatives and a new media player.

I was tempted to jump in and tell him to return that piece of crap immediately, w/out delay, not looking back.

But I didn't wanna seem like a jerk...

Carl

8. Carlszone

I look at these small client devices as I do my apartment. Maintenance is expected to be done by housekeeping. As long as I report the problem I expect them to provide the fix.

But our landlords on all the devices I've bought never quite understand this most basic concept. I'm in their world, whether it be MSN, Google, or Apple. This is the one place where they have an opportunity to show off their software. But it never happens that way. Device owners are left to fend for themselves. While I can't speak for Apple, I can say that my experience w/Microsoft and now Google has left me wondering if all software companies running small client devices are anything more than what in real world terms would amount to slum landlords.

Fix my pipes, dammit...

Lol!

Take care

Carl

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  9. retroben

retroben Active Member

Regardless of how things are,anyone can still use these performance "work-arounds" to get the most out of their devices.
    Hopefully,when the time comes,the guys at gtvhacker will eventually have the root and NDK hacks ready for us,and working against REL11 as well as the other devices' equivalent root blocking updates.

And the main focus for my performance tips is on the much less expensive set-top boxes that may not see the update,if any kind of update.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I found years ago, it is necessary to take steps to keep Google TV running acceptably. If you don't have some method of managing its limited resources so it can operate without crashes and freezes, I don't think it is usable. A PC is fine and does a lot but I hate using it except as a server, the user interface is poor in my opinion and it doesn't integrate with the traditional TV source I want to use, TiVo. Google TV does do what I want and integrates well with TiVo and a PC, bringing everything together in an easy to use system that the female in the household can operate for the primary uses easily. She doesn't have to do any of the necessary babying to keep it running, she uses TiVo, Netflix, and PlayOn basically and it is always ready for her to use, I handle the steps needed so she doesn't have to worry about any of the babying.

I think retroben's method sounds great, not difficult or time consuming, although I don't use it, I have my own way which I have described here many times, it also requires the user to take steps continually to avoid problems, probably no easier overall than what he is doing. If you want just to turn it on, do whatever you want and not worry about managing its limited resources, can't deal with a few necessary steps, I don't think Google TV is worth using. I have seen many complaints about how Google TV operates without knowing how to avoid the issues, the user doesn't like it. Like you, if I describe it takes some effort to use it, I see whining and an unwillingness to have to take those steps in response to the suggestion, so what, don't use Google TV or use it without being able to do much with it.

I spend a few minutes a day with the necessary babying and get hours a day of use from it, doing the things I want to do with it, and avoiding the issues I see constant whining about here. There is nothing wrong with being unwilling to have a routine that makes Google TV worth using but I don't see how you can offer anything but continual whining when talking about Google TV, like you have here.

Use a PC, you can have it, I much prefer operating Google TV in a way it can do what I want, even if takes some effort to use.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  11. Carlszone

For the purpose of this thread I will list 3 corporations that have been pertinent to settop boxes lately.

Microsoft
    Apple
    Google

There exists certain customer types that all marketers must either cater to or at the least get their grudging approval for any hope of success w/their product. Note: I am coming from a purely market to consumer standpoint. These personalities reveal themselves over the years as:

The simpleton: This consumer is the least common denominator when it comes to instructions and customer support. If you can dumb down your tech-lingo to their level and provide support personnel that can cater to kindergardeners than you will be fine. These are the folks for whom instruction labels for hemorrhoid depositories have the warning "Do Not Orally Ingest."

The Whiner: This is a breed of consumer that groans & moans no matter what ya do. They will complain that the device is too simple, much too complex or just doesn't toast their bread and make coffee in the morning. In truth there aren't many genuine complainers that do so just for the heck of it. But they do exist.

The Bully: This species of consumer nightmare is yer embittered advocate. This subscriber is every marketer's lethal dose of poison. In every thread on every board you will find this creature lurking in dark corners ready to label anyone w/a one size fits all dunce cap if someone has the temerity to question the devices he loves. They throw out meaningless terms like whiners and such while overlooking the real deficiencies of the product being discussed. They have no idea how their adverse behavior reflects on the products they endorse. Bill Gates once made the mistake of labeling settop box users as slackers. A bullying tactic meant to cover their past mistakes w/the small client subscribers.

The Fool: This specimen sees only hope of a future resurgence of the product of his choice long after all support has fled. He will make statements like, "They will have to pry it from my dead fingers." Woe to those that cross this consumers path. They take any device they purchase personally and may eventually stalk folks in the R/W.

Every product has a downside. The realist works to overcome them while seeking upgrades that eventually eliminates them permanently. Many participate in beta programs for that very reason. When they make their reports about deficiencies noted they do not expect to be labelled w/the term whiners. In forums & on reviews folks try to give an honest opinion of the product. Or what is the use? A review cannot possibly be a whine! Often it is mere fact.

If ya wanna help GTV, an attitude of condescension is not the way to go about it. Folks ain't stupid. They've seen this ploy used before. Stick to the merits of the thread.

Just be honest...

Thank You

Carl

12. ChrisG8

I have worked with current versions of Microsoft, Apple and Google TV access of internet TV. I see non stop complaining about Google TV from you, complaints that it takes effort to use it, you want simple. I am delighted to have to take the steps necessary to use Google TV, it works, does what I need while the Microsoft and Apple products today do not. I don't know what is coming from these companies in the future, will all of them have ease of use and it that is the case, great. I can't see the future, I can comment on what the devices can do today and how to make Google TV do what I need. I don't disagree that Google TV isn't doing well, too difficult to use, that doesn't bother me, my approach was to learn what I needed to do to make it work. Roku is my second favorite of the various ways to handle internet TV, but it is a distant second although it is the easiest to use and I understand the market likes easy, if given a choice between easy and very capable given effort, so what? I want very capable even if it takes more effort.

We have covered this topic several times, you have nothing new to add and neither do I, I will continue to use Google TV, you will continue to whine. I don't think the current Google TV hardware can be made to do what I want and do it with great ease, no resource management required, like Roku can do what it does with great ease. I also don't think the current Apple TV or Microsoft products can be made to work the way I want, neither will come close in fact. If new products are coming that will have the ease of use you demand and the capability I demand, great but I am not going to worry about, just continue to do what I need to do until that happens.

I think it is great retroben has the procedures in place to make his NSZ-GS7 work optimally for how he wants to use it and I think it is a waste of time that you stopped to crap in thread with nothing but the same old nonsense about how it shouldn't be necessary to have do anything special. It is necessary and again, I say so what, either do something that works or move on to something else.

• Like Like x 4
  13. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Having my GS7 for 18 months now I can say I'm pretty well satisfied with what it does and I guess the announcement they made about the 4.2 upgrade had everyones hopes up by the end of the year we would sitting in Jelly Bean heaven.Carl like me knows the disappointment of the set top box filled with empty promises from the venture that MSN took upon itself and ruined a great idea.It's like going to Las Vegas it will always be a gamble and sometimes someone does win.I think Google is on the right road it's just they are taking the long way to get there.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ChrisG8

I don't see Jellybean being a big improvement, at least as it is now. Based on my experience, I still think 2GB RAM would be a big improvement but for whatever reason, that hasn't happened. If Jellybean eventually improves operation or allows for useful new apps, that will be good news.

• Like Like x 2
  15. retroben

retroben Active Member

The saddest comparison between my dual-core GS7,and an older single-core computer that I am barely allowed to use.

The computer:
    Pros:Has the freedom of many customizations and emulators.

Cons:Can't play 1080p video worth a crap and it has many issues with program specific lagging due to the many viruses it has survived through.

The GS7:
    Pros:It can do pretty much anything the single-core computer can't do,such as 1080p videos and some way faster functions such as gif playing in Omni Gif.
    I can use it whenever I want because its ALL MINE! Muahahahahahahahaha!
    The performance tricks including the benchmark exploit make using it so much more enjoyable than pingas.

Cons:It is very stricken with customizations and can only barely emulate Gameboy Color using Mobile Gameboy or Kidd GBC.
    The REL11 update kills the ability to root. Damn them!
    Having only 400MB left of 1GB since startup can be really irritating since it very frequently runs out of RAM.

I am glad that I am so skilled at reducing the issues like random system freezing with my GS7.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Carlszone

Thanks for all yer honest comments. Chris, I don't want simple. Never have, never will! I want honesty. I want a new GTV user to be able to say how it isn't working for them w/out anyone telling him he is just whining! Are ya kidding me? He's new! He has no bone in this fight! He/she deserves better.

And we KNOW better! Treat them like ya never tried out a GTV device in yer life! Then you can understand their specific problem and maybe help em.

Cut the Whine Bullshit!!!

Thanks

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  17. Carlszone

Btw,

Happy New Year!!!

18. ChrisG8

I don't see retroben's posts as whining, I see your posts as whining. He offers a solution to keep the GS7 running optimally for how he uses it, you respond with having to take those steps is too much trouble you will just use a PC and media players need to be simple is how I read your response. I think his plan sounds like a good one and it is obviously working for him, I have my own method I will continue to use, but like his, it includes necessary steps to avoid crashes and freezes. I see many complaints about using Google TV, users can't do this or can't do that, I can do those things and routinely do. I have often responded to questions about how to do something with the way I do it, I do it often. Using Google TV requires steps to keep it running, or it won't run is how i see it.

I don't have any problem with someone preferring to use a PC, I have one and have put it to good use but for direct playback of online video or local video to an HDTV, I can't stand to use it and therefore don't but I will be darned if I ever visit a thread discussing the best way to use a PC and crap in the thread with comments about how that is too difficult and using Google TV is better.

19. retroben

retroben Active Member

Jelly Bean is not the direct concern for me,NDK support is.
    If we at least had NDK on HoneyComb,we could run any of the many emulators that support pre-ics android versions.

By the way,the PC pros/cons are after I had undergone countless tweaks to it for it to work better.
    The end-result is that the menus are a little faster from some registry tweaks,the desktop on startup is visible instantly,and the performance is not as slow as it would be if I didn't tweak stuff for it.

Happy Old Year Go Bye-Bye!

20. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]