Quantcast

How many Movie Apps!

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by overtimeman, Mar 15, 2013.

1. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I'll start a new thread for this one.If we don't get the Vudu app we have amazon,Sony movies and Google's movies and TV to choose from.Never had any problem with their HD rentals so if we never get Vudu it's not like we're left holding the bag.After reading all the posts about Co Star I'll just stick with my Sony! :cool:

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I haven't been following the saga, is someone saying the Sony NSZ-GS7 won't get Vudu? I have assumed it is coming soon. M-Go offers a deal for the first 30 days and it includes current releases available as well as all others, 99 cent SD and $1.99 HD, I have rented a few recent movies and been happy with the service. I don't think I will be paying $4 or more after the promotion expires but with 30 days to watch the movies, I won't worry about what to do next.

3. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Sadly I have been reading all the drama lol, I will say at this point I wish I had spent the extra money and went for the sony over the vizio, yeah so its got vudu, but no optical out, POS IR blaster in the remote, 1 usb. Vudu is up in the air at this point, but I still maintain the ONLY reason the Vizio got it was by pressure from WalMart in order for them to carry the device. They are essentially the same device with dif firmwares, both run the same chipset and have essentially the same features implemented or not.

4. twospirits

twospirits Member

I'm curious, is there a listing somewhere that showcases the different apps that are available on each GTV device?
    I didn't even know about Vudu until this thread.

TS

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

If I wanted to watch Vudu I could do so on my PS3, or I could dust off my Roku. I don't feel any need to watch Vudu. Given we're talking an Android based device, I don't really see what's to stop Vudu from making an App for the GS7. Whether Sony chooses to bundle it is immaterial.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

This is slightly off-topic but I have a question. I recall when Sony purchased the gaming company Gaikai they decided not to include the OnLive gaming app as a dedicated pre-installed app on the NSZ-GS7.

The word at the time was that OnLive was working on a GTV android app that would function on the NSZ-GS7. Did this ever come to fruition?

It could be the VUDU situation is a kind of parallel situation to the OnLive situation. (In that Sony didn't want VUDU as a dedicated app for business reasons such as it would compete with their own Sony Entertainment Network - and the VUDU app could be made compatible with the NSZ-GS7 later if VUDU wants to do it).

I don't know for sure that this is the case - I'm merely suggesting it as a possibility.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  7. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Wouldn't Amazon and Netflix on the NSZ-GS7 compete with Sony's Entertainment Network too? What about Sony's blu ray players that have the Sony Entertainment Network, Cinema Now, Vudu and Amazon? Wouldn't that be even more competition?

I see no proof of this being the reason the Vudu app isn't on the Sony unit yet.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. jonw747

Maybe Vudu wanted money from Sony for including their s/w. Maybe Sony wanted money from Vudu. It just doesn't matter.

If Vudu wants to serve their customers who own GS7's then they'll make an app available that runs on the GS7.

What has ever stopped any of us from loading what we want on our devices?

9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

There is also the new RedBox Instant on-line streaming.

10. wxman2003

wxman2003 New Member

Not with this device.

11. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I will have to see evidence that Vudu is not going to be available with the Sony NSZ-GS7 before I believe it, just because we don't have it yet isn't evidence it isn't coming. The PS3 of course has a great Vudu app with the ability to download and play later which makes me believe Sony isn't going to try to prop up its movie VoD service by limiting competition on Google TV. I am inclined to believe when WalMart certifies the NSZ-GS7 meets the DRM requirements and any other requirements, it will show up, either in the Play Store or as a direct download from Sony.

12. jonw747

Excellent point about DRM. Media providers definitely have far more concerns for how and where their apps are run than the typical App provider. It's one thing to pirate the app, and quite another to pirate their entire media library.