Quantcast

How many Co-Stars has Vizio sold?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by MacFrugal, Sep 5, 2012.

1. MacFrugal

MacFrugal New Member

This is a curious thing to me. Has demand been off the chart... or was their production run very small? Are they using a small group of consumers to beta test the Co-star before a big rollout? Whatever the problem, the way this has been playing out is just sad.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone outside of Vizio knows the answer to this question. I am certain Vizio has been cautious by not manufacturing hundreds of thousands of units but has to be encouraged by the fact the modest quantity offered has sold out. I would guess around 50,000 units give or take 10,000 sold as of now but I expect the next wave to not sell out immediately, Vizio should be prepared and have adequated quantities going forward.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

On the one hand I think as Chris mentioned Vizio is being cautious - and it could also be a marketing strategy to intentionally create an internet "buzz" about the Co-Star.

However sooner or later they really need to get enough in stock so they don't continually sell out in 1-day - otherwise they run the risk of interested potential customers becoming discouraged and alternatively just buying the readily available Sony GTV. In fact I think this is starting to happen already.......

4. MacFrugal

MacFrugal New Member

I suspect the numbers are nowhere near that. Probably less than 10,000 units. Logitech lost a 100 million on the Revue and the CEO lost his job as a result. So I don't blame Vizio for being cautious; however, their communication is terrible regarding the release of this product.

5. Myronbg

Myronbg New Member

I think that part of the demand is this forum. Mostly positive reviews and where there are negatives, there are solutions or comparisons to the competition. Let's face it, mosy of us are early adopters &/or willing to get something that has potential. I think Vizio is to Google, what is Sony is to Apple.

6. ChrisG8

It is much more than 10,000 after three production runs, you simply can't manufacture such small quantities of an inexpensive item like this efficiently.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Yeah, I expect another sell out, the product is not bad, it's just that a lot of people refuse to read the user manual ...(lol) I saw a YouTube review of the Co-Star, the guy went to YouTube, the cursor spinning a long time, before the content came up ... He called it lag and I call it a real super slow broadband speed ....

My YouTube content comes up almost instantly, because I have a UFO light speed broadband connection ....(lol) Truly, I'm expecting another sell out within a month of the next release date ...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  9. MacFrugal

MacFrugal New Member

I'm not familiar with how many units can be manufactured efficiently. However, I do find it hard to believe they've moved 50,000 units in short bursts on their website. People who have purchased the Co-star are not ordinary consumers, they are enthusiasts. Only about 45 people have shared their experiences on this forum regarding the Co-star. If more units were out in the wild, you'd see a lot more feedback.

10. ChrisG8

Vizio is among the largest in terms of HDTV sales in the US, many millions sold, those customers are a big part of their market for this device, not just the enthusiasts registered here and other internet forums. I don't know how many have been sold but this is a product with a slim profit margin, maybe $5 or $10 a unit, and if all that has been sold are 10,000 units and that is 100% of quantity manufactured, that would make no sense. A product introduction of this type costs a lot, employees assigned to handle various aspects of the product roll out, customer support personnel trained and everything else required. This doesn't make much sense if the quantity sold was 50,000, much less 10,000, lost sales because of no inventory often results in a customer that buys a competing product and that is very bad business. If Vizio did all of this to sell out a total quantity a few thousand each time, that is about the equivalent of spending a million dollars to open a lemonade stand on the side of the road.

Logitech lost a lot of money on the Revue, maybe tens of millions, and I believe we already have more users here relating experiences with a Co-Star than Logitech Revue. Logitech at a minimum had to sell several hundred thousand Revues so a small number of users posting here, a few dozen, is not indicative of only a few thousand being sold. The Logitech Revue was sold at traditional retailers in addition to Logitech direct sales, both local stores and large internet retailers, so a smaller percentage of purchasers would come here but I can't believe the percentage difference would be this great.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bobojay

bobojay New Member

Part of the only about 45 sharing on this forum thing is that no one knows about this forum. Hell, hardly anyone knows what GoogleTV is in my experience. Not a single aquaintance of ours know what it is. I've asked just for the fun of it.

(hey this is my first post!)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

You know what Guy, you are ONE BILLION % RIGHT ...!(lol) When Vizio opens up the Co-Star store again, they will get my money again ...!