Quantcast

How I Got My Logitech Revue To Run Faster With Improved Stability

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 21, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I took 2 steps that have improved the speed and overall stability of my Logitech Revue.

1) I downloaded a free app called "Smart Ram Booster" from the Google Play Store. This app is compatible with the Revue (so there is no need to go through the trouble of sideloading). Once I downloaded the app I checked the box (within the app settings) that says "Check Boost Automatically". There are also several other settings that you can fine-tune to your preference. I have mine set to 30 seconds between boosts and to boost if cache falls below 300mb. I also have mine set to "aggressive". Here's the link to the app in Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rootuninstaller.rambooster&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnJvb3R1bmluc3RhbGxlci5yYW1ib29zdGVyIl0

2) I went to my Chrome settings - then Advance Settings - then Under The Hood - then Adobe Flash Storage Settings. From within the Adobe Flash Settings I went to Global Flash Storage Settings and unchecked the box that says "Store Common Flash Components To Reduce Download Times".

Several web sites that I go to wouldn't play the Flash Videos due to the way that the site interacts with the GTV Flash plug-in. Either I would get an error message or a spinning circle and the videos would never load. After I unchecked the box in my Flash settings (as I mentioned above) - all of the videos played good. I did some comparisons and I didn't notice videos or web pages loading any slower with that box unchecked - so I prefer to keep mine unchecked. Here's a link to an article that mentions this situation with Flash - and the article recommends the same solution (in step #5).

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=157670104293572

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  2. callanish

callanish Member

Nicely done, thanks for that. Do you think your advice would benefit all Google hardware with the same settings, not just the Revue. One way to find out would be to try it on it I guess.

3. CatfishRivers

I only own the Logitech Revue - but yes, my hunch is that it would help all GTV devices.

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

If this doesn't do it then try going to Settings, Apps , Running Services and shutting them all off one by one on an as needed basis and free up RAM!!! GTV can get bogged down running too many Apps all the time...

5. CatfishRivers

Here's another tip that I use when I want web sites to load lightning fast without ads and annoying pop-ups. I use "mobilizer" web sites such as Skweezer or Mowser. The Skweezer site is convenient because I can bookmark my frequently visited sites from within the Skweezer web page. I especially like using Skweezer for my favorite online newspapers:

Skweezer

Mowser - Mobilizing the web

Google also has a mobilizer here:

http://google.com/gwt/n

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  6. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Best tips ever I unchecked the java storage things and it stopped to crashed on tou.tv (a french canadian website with streaming contents which was always crasched)

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

7. tommycat

tommycat New Member

cool I'll try it out

8. LES017

LES017 New Member

Thanks for this Catfish! So far this has made a huge difference on my revue. I can now let a Chrome YouTube playlist with 10+ videos and then go to the YouTube player and play some then go Amazon.com, etc without having to stop and clear cach/reboot in between. Love it! Thanks

9. chopper

chopper Active Member

This App renders the You Tube App useless and I am not sure how to fix this! It also leaves a red/blue mark on the top of the GTV screen.

10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Go under Ram Booster settings and turn that off, very easy.

11. chopper

chopper Active Member

Where under settings? Also, I played with the white list and the You Tube App now works - just put check marks beside the 2 system Apps and then restart the Revue.

12. chopper

chopper Active Member

Ok it's under settings and I removed the check mark from Overlay. Also to fix the You ube App just whitelist the 2 settings Apps and pehaps restart the App or your Revue to get it all working smoothly.

This has really boosted my Revue better than I ever expected, thanks Cat!

For one thing the 2 finger touch pad page up page down gesture is very slick now!!!

I can also report that for some reason You Tube App videos now load fasted and with higher quality playback as I was experiencing audio drop outs over the past few weeks (probably because I have been testing out a lot of new apps and leaving them installed and running in the background which was sucking up ram).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  13. guest

guest Active Member

I'm using a Logitech Revue. I've tried installing this app, but it's not showing in my list of recent applications. How long does this installation take?

14. guest

guest Active Member

In System Settings/Applications/Unknown Sources, there is a checkbox to allow for installation of non-Market applications. Does the box need to be checked to install the Smart RAM Booster? Currently, it is unchecked.

15. CatfishRivers

The unknown sources box shouldn't need to be checked - because the Smart Ram Booster app is available from the Google Play Store. Sometimes in general installing apps with GTV can be a bit flaky. If it's not showing up for you - try reloading the page from Google Play where the app is located - and then try installing the app again.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  16. guest

guest Active Member

I went directly to Google Play and searched for Smart Ram Booster. I clicked install and a message said it would be installed shortly. The word "installing" was visible. But after two minutes, it was still installing. Does this take, like, fifteen minutes? I was under the impression that this size application is a 15-second download.

17. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If it installed, you would receive a message in the notifications box. No notification, no installation, try again.

18. guest

guest Active Member

After twelve minutes, it was still "installing". I've written to the developer about the problem. Is there anything in the Google Play application that I should do, like click Force Stop, Clear Data or Clear Cache?

19. CatfishRivers

Yes I would try Clearing Data from the Google Play app - and also sign out of your Google account and then sign back in. Have you tried installing some other apps - just to see if that works?

You can also try uninstalling the Google Play app and see if that helps.

Are you using a router? If so then try rebooting your router.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  20. guest

guest Active Member

I cleared the Google Play application data, signed out of gmail and rebooted the device. Logged back into gmail and attempted a re-install. Same result. I Force-Stopped the application. I assume that is how you uninstall as there is no mention of uninstalling in the application. What I did notice was that in Internal Storage, on the manage applications page, there is listed 260 MB of Free Storage and 260 MB of Used Storage. Has all my storage been used up? I hardly ever download an application such that storage would be filled up.