Quantcast

How Could the Android Market Possibly Come to GoogleTV?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by bfready, Jan 3, 2011.

1. bfready

bfready New Member

The Logitech Revue that I ordered from DishNetwork has a Intel (X86) processor. My Motorola Defy has an OMAP 3610 (ARM) processor. I don't know much about nothing, but this would be like porting the android market to the Windows XP, correct?

When I read the "Android Market" is coming to GoogleTV, are they referring to a "GoogleTV Market" instead? It will not be as easy to port Android apps to GoogleTV as it was porting Iphone apps to the IPad.

When I first read about the Android Market was coming to GoogleTV, I thought to myself that there would automatically be a huge app library for it. But now I am confused. The XBOX 360 used to have software it would download for each original XBOX game so it would play on the 360. That involved some sort of emulation to make it run and I don't think a 1.2 ghz Intel processor has enough juice to emulate an Android OS.

So what is it really? Is it Google opening up development for the GoogleTV OS and creating a "market" for it, available on the platform itself?

2. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

I am not an expert. But I do believe that there is a process in Android software that runs like VMware. The Google TV and Droid phones generates a virtual computing environment, that houses the "pipes" or connections to the hardware. Thus software would not need to be ported since it is coded for the "vanilla" OS virtual Machine. At least I believe that is how it works.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bfready

bfready New Member

Oh, ok. Thanks Netastophales!

4. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

No problem. If anyone around has a better answer please share. I based my answer on some literature I read in DROID training at my work a year or so ago. so I could be WAY off. Either way I am happy to conjecture for anyone! ;)

5. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

Um, not sure what you are talking about. the GoogleTV already runs Android, the platform has already been ported, the applications run under the platform for the most part. When they say bringing the android market to GoogleTV they mean bringing the Android Market to googleTV. Now, each phone has a little bit of a different market (partially due to carriers, partially due to the difference in platforms, but mostly due to the version of Android OS.

I think it will be very similar to the iPhone vs. the iPad. Some applications will be specifically written for GoogleTV, some for Android Phones, and some for both.

As far as a virtualization layer...Gingerbread brings this in 2.3, it doesn't exist in the same was in 2.1 and 2.2. There is a virtualization layer of sorts, but has to do more with a runtime environment vs. actual OS virtualization.

• Like Like x 4
  6. bbgott

bbgott New Member

You are absolutely correct on the iPhone vs. iPad analogy. There will be some apps that will work on either platform but not both, and others that will work on both.

As for the virtualization layer part, I'm afraid you are off. Android is essentially a modified linux environment running a Dalvik VM for apps. The Dalvik VM is very similar in concept to a Java VM. This has been the way Android was built from the beginning, so the virtualization has been there from day one. Most apps live happily inside this VM and should work on almost any platform that android is ported to. There are a few apps, however, that require native code outside this VM. Those apps will need to be ported to each platform that the developer wants the app to run on. Google TV is a specialized configuration of Android targeted for TV environments.

You are also correct on the Android market filtering, and that when Google launches the market for Google TV that it will be the Android market. It will just filter out apps that require hardware that Google TV does not have.

7. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

Maybe I didn't explain what I meant, but that is exactly what I said. VMWare isn't like Java VM or Dalvik VM, in such that an entire OS is virtualized.

I agree with how you wrote it out but I was trying to explain the same concept without getting into the details of Dalvik VM.

In reality Dalvik VM has its own J2ME compilation ability, and Google is in legal trouble because it so closely relates to the JVM from SUN Microsystems.

Again, all I was doing was making the difference between a full OS virtualization vs. an application virtualization (application runtime environments). I say this because in Honeycomb this becomes more of a fuzzy gray area, where applications will be put into even a deeper level of separation from the core OS.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011