Quantcast

How can I teach a learning remote with the NSG-MR1 remote?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by bugeyed, Jul 8, 2013.

1. bugeyed

bugeyed New Member

Using a Sony NSX-40GT1. This Sony remote isn't outputting an IR signal, as far as I can tell. I just need to teach my other remote a few keys. Specifically, I need to be able to switch inputs on the TV when I am through watching a movie. I can get the menu up, but can't "enter" the selection. I looked at the Sony remote with my digital camera & saw no IR activity. Do I have to use the IR blaster to teach my remote. BTW I am using an alternate remote because the NSG-MR1 is not designed not convenient use.

Edit: Found an old Sony DVD remote. In TV mode this remote's "TV/Video" key brings up the GTV input menu. Subsequent presses steps through menu & this remotes enter key executes the selected input in the GTV menu. I think I have the issue worked out. It was just a matter of finding a proper Sony TV IR enter code to teach my main remote. I could probably get the NSG-MR1 to output an IR signal when in TV mode, but haven't tried. Thanks for your responses.

Thanks,kev

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The NSG-MR1 is RF. I don't own the NSX-40GT1 but I don't believe an IR command will change inputs on the TV although a learning IR remote can probably learn commands from the IR blaster although I don't know what good that will do since that isn't how the TV changes inputs. I use the Logitech K700 RF keyboard instead of the NSG-MR1 to control the NSZ-GT1 because I don't particularly like little qwerty keypads.

3. bugeyed

bugeyed New Member

Thanks for your response. The Sony TV does receive IR signals. My IR cable universal remote "Video Source" button brings up the TV input menu & I can step through the choices. The problem is the "enter" button does not do anything in this menu.

Thanks,
    kev

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

What remote are you using with the TV? All displays I have can accept a direct IR command to change to a specific input, I use Harmony remotes with HDMI 1, HDMI 2, antenna, etc. although I believe I can also scroll through the menu and select a specific input with the arrow and enter keys.

5. bugeyed

bugeyed New Member

I'm using the universal remote that came with a Suddenlink cable HD box. Everything works fine except when I am in the input menu the "enter" key brings up the cable guide instead of selecting the input that I have scrolled to. Apparently this "enter" button is set up to punch through & control the cable box otherwise it works like the "enter" button on the TV remote. That's what prompted me to just use a programmable remote to learn all the buttons I need. Just can't learn the "enter" button code that the Sony uses in the input menu.

Edit: found an old Sony DVD remote. In TV mode this remote's TV/Video key brings up the GTV input menu. Subsequent presses steps through menu & the TV enter key, not the main enter key, executes the selected input in the GTV menu. I think I have the issue worked out. Thanks for your responses.
    Thanks,
    kev

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013