Quantcast

How can i hook up an analog amp to a sony google TV (NSX-46GT1)?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by martinrm, Nov 25, 2012.

1. martinrm

martinrm New Member

TV Model: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica]NSX-46GT1[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica]TV Brand: Sony [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica]As it seems, there is no analog out on the tv, only digital and 3.5mm headphone jack. I have read other posts about this issue but they all recommend using the 3.5mm jack, of which i cannot ( i will explain later). I have an older JVC amp that is fairly good, and i just want to run 2 8ohm bookshelf speakers for stereo sound from the amp. Being an older powered amp it does not take a 3.5mm jack (aux) as a input, only component audio (i forget the name of this jack but its the red and white cords). I have tried to split the 3.5mm jack to the red and white components to plug into my amp. This work, however, the sound is dull, muddied, and when i turn the sound up on the tv or amp the speakers produce a cracking sound. I talked to my father and he suggested that the amp isnt design to work with the 3.5mm jack as an input, but rather need a true component linkage between the tv and the amp. This is where the problem is, the tv does not have any component analog out.

Does anyone know a way to fix this problem, without buying a Digital to analog converter? The 3.5mm jack works, but produces cracking noise.

Regards,
    Martin

For added resources, Here is the input and output selection on the TV,
    [/FONT]
    • AC Power : 1 (Rear)
    • Analog Audio Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
    • Analog Audio Output(s) : 1 (Headphone)
    • Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s) : 1 (Rear) - Common with Component input
    • Composite Video Input(s) : 1 (Rear) - Common with Composite input
    • Digital Audio (Optical) : Output - 1 (Rear)
    • Ethernet Connection(s) : 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-T (Rear)
    • HDMI™ Connection(s) Input(s) : 4 (2 Rear/ 2 Side)
    • Headphone Connection : Mini Stereo
    • Headphone Output(s) : Yes
    • IR Blaster : 2 (Rear)
    • USB 2.0 : 4 (Side)

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Are you saying there is a 3.5mm out jack on your TV converted to a red/white spliter connected to red/white cables that are hooked up to your Amp? From what I hear the Digital to Analog converters do not work, scam! Also, you may have a bad connection with your current 3.5 mm converted setup ie one of the wires/adapters may be in need of replacement. If you are slicing wires that could be the problem. It would be best to buy the correct adapter.

Personally, I have been able to attach an MP3 player and my PC with a 3.5mm jack to an old PA system what had the old large headphone type jack as an audio input. Sounds great at my place for a night of Karaoke. One of these days I am going to try to hook it up to the TV for some big time sound!

I have also been able to convert a 3.5mm jack to the red and white audio inputs for a ghetto blaster made in the early 90's come to think of it. The sound was great. So at this point if this is your only option I would go out and buy all new wires and adapters. If you can test out the 3.5mm out from another device 1st ie PC or MP3 player try that first to rule out a bad 3.5mm out jack. So, if you do all of the above and it still sounds horrible, then, likely your Amps component inputs are bad. Try one of them at a time to see if the crackles go away. I doubt it's a compatibility issue but with old equipment it might be a dirty connection or dusty internal connections issue on the part of your old Amp. If one of the inputs on your Amp is at fault then you could just send the audio signal unsplit to just one of the inputs on your Amp for a Mono sound experience that may just solve your crackles issue. I'm pretty sure there is an adapter out there for that possible solution as well.

Let me know how you make out?

The first GTV box to come out with analog audio outputs will win some pts. with me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. martinrm

martinrm New Member

Wow thanks for the reply, you actually thought of something i didnt. Like for example plugging the RCA Cables into different pots on my amp. I had this im my mind that the amp connections might be bad as they were lightly corroded. Im also using cheap **** cables come to think of it. I will prob first try the different RCA connections on my amps first then replace my slitter and speaker wire. I will let you know how it works out. You boosted my confidence in the 3.5mm headphone jack after hearing that you had success with it.

The thing that gets me, is that i can make it so it does not crackle, but the speakers suck sound really bad. Its annoying because they are really good new 8 ohm, 250 watt, 6 inch drivers with 2 inch tweets speakers. . . and they sound bad.

-------- Update ---------
    3.5mm jack to rca cables to amp, then i cleaned the terminals of another hookup then plugged it in. Now it sounds great. I am beyond happy.

This is for my dorm, my theater set up
    46 inch google tv
    from the tv 3.5mm jack to a splitter im running a logitech speaker system with 2 small tweeters, and a 6 inch subwoofer. The other 3.5mm jack goes to my amp with has 3 channels, the 2 big onkyo speakers and a center channel. So i have psudo surround sound, and im happy xD.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  4. chopper

chopper Active Member

Hmmm,

I seem to remember that the Ohms of the speakers must match the Ohms your Amp requires, so this might be the problem. If you are getting good sound from another input on your Amp then this can be ruled out too.

I am glad you fixed the problem, have some fun be keep the noise down, I'm right next door and needs my sleep, JK, LOL!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012