Quantcast

how can I hoof up just plan old cable to google tv?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by mxpowers, Mar 9, 2011.

1. mxpowers

mxpowers New Member

So I love my Google Tv. And the only reason I have it because I got it for free. I would gladly pay for this device but hell getting it free was even better. But I have one small problem.

I have no set top box. That's right ladies and gents I'm old school. Well to be honest I get 100 channels free with my rent. Now my landlord said I could get HD box and then pay it on a monthly plan.... But I'd figure I'd ask here to see if there was a solution to this problem and see if I could save myself $60 a month for channels I already get for free. So here's the problem.

I have a coax just right out of the wall. No box no noting just a cable.

I have the logitech google tv with only HDMI

What can I do?

MX

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

3. mxpowers

mxpowers New Member

Thanks sparkyscott21 I did find so information but I guess I still have questions.

So as you know I have just a coax wire coming out of my wall. No box or anything... So I guess my question is do is need some converter box, converter box with a tuner, or just a coal to hdmi cable?

4. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Is your TV an HDTV? I'm assuming it is since you are able to connect the Revue to your tv. If so, your tv has a built in tuner already, so unless you want to get more than the channels that you are already getting, I see no point in you getting a converter or anything.

5. harley man

harley man New Member

i was thinking the same thing you do not need a coverter box i have one hd tv with only cable going to it i get some in hd but if you get hd cable box you get more hd and gtv wil be able to search for stuff on the box thats all will change from the way you have it now

6. mxpowers

mxpowers New Member

Ok it is HDTV ready and bla bla bla. But I would half to plug in my coax in the back on my HDTV not my Google TV... If I do that will I be able to use the PIP feature on the Google TV or no?

7. mxpowers

mxpowers New Member

I think the search feature is neat and all but I already get 100 channels free. I'm just trying to figuar out and option that will allow me to use the PIP without a box. Currently my Google TV is in my bed room. there is no cable in my bedroom. But I would like to move the Google TV into my living room and somehow use it with my cable Mind you I have not cable box. It just comes out of the wall. Old School Style.

8. mxpowers

mxpowers New Member

Well I know this probably wont work... There are no stupid questions right. So here it is...

If I hook (or Hoof as I said in the header lol) up the coax into the back of my HDTV... Will Google TV be able to use PIP?

9. harley man

harley man New Member

yes you will get pip with a hd cable box to gtv and its so cool to have and maybe a convert box thats has hdmi out if they have that

10. mxpowers

mxpowers New Member

I dont have an HD box

11. galfert

galfert Active Member

mxpowers, NO you won't get PIP without a box. PIP will only work on Google TV with an input to the HDMI on the Google TV device....which has to come from a box.

12. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

No, probably no pip, but, still won't he get the pictures he was receiving before hand,with no hd??

13. mxpowers

mxpowers New Member

This is my current set up. I have my Google TV in to HDMI 1...... I have my cable (Remember I have no box. Just a coax coming out the wall) plugged into my TV. The cable is not going through a box it's going from the wall to the back of my TV.

Galfert I think I finally under stand what I must do. Some how I need to convert coax to HDMI. Now my apartment comes with cable. So I don't pay for it... Which is really nice. But If I wanted something like direct tv, then I would pay. And I'm sure if I get something like direct tv it will work fine. but I like a challenge. And why would I do that? Im already get 1oo channels for free? So I'm guessing I need some box that converts coax to HDMI? Now seeing that the Google TV is not a tuner I'm guessing this box also need to be a tuner? Does that even exists?

14. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  15. mxpowers

mxpowers New Member

Thank you towboy123. Thank you everyone. The DVD/DVR player is probably the only way to do this set up. Thank you thank you that you. I know I didn't explain my situation clearly but I know we could come up with a solution to my problem. Thanks again.