Quantcast

Hook up Mac to Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by pcirino, Oct 16, 2012.

1. pcirino

pcirino New Member

What is the best way to hook up my MacBook screen so that it shows on the Google TV ??

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

PC

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Well, if your Mac has HDMI out then just connect it to the HDMI in on your GTV. But this option removes your Cable TV. If you choose to go this rout just remember that the TV button now activates your MAC instead of bringing up live TV.

• Like Like x 2
  3. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

Your MacBook probably uses a lightning connector. You might want to hooks your MacBook to your tv with just a cable. Like lightning to VGA or lightning to hdmi. Whatever your tv supports. My desktop is VGA to VGA.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tommyboy8686

Tommyboy8686 New Member

Only real way to hook up your mac to GOOGLE TV is either buy a Apple TV (connect to hdmi input on google tv) and use mirroring on your MAC, which is only supported on MACs from 2011 to present. Otherwise the only other option you have is use a minidisplayport to HDMI with Audio cable. Monoprice has the best deals and you can get a pretty long cable. For only $5.70 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt® to HDMI® Adapter w/ Audio Support | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapters

These have worked well for me but I just plunged for the Apple TV and the wireless airplay feature is great. I can look at my mac and type what I need to or just hookup a bluetooth keyboard and use it while my mac is sitting in the other room. No current apps support mirroring using airplay.

Lastly, I'm guessing you know about Airtight (google tv app) which works for most movies/music by using airplay but Mirroring isn't supported (Yet) according to the information on Google Play. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 2