Quantcast

Honeycomb

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by usnret, Aug 12, 2011.

1. usnret

usnret New Member

New to Revue. What exactly will the Honeycomb software do for Revue (in laymans terms please). Tks

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

"Honeycomb" or Android 3.1 is an Operating System update to Froyo "Android 2.1" which currently supported on the Revue. It comes with with User Interface enhancements and increase functionality. Or az da smat guy sez, "It make things go good."

3. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Biggest change is that the Android Market appears to be enabled - or at least it is in the leaked beta copy...

4. usnret

usnret New Member

eferz - what sort of user interface enhancements, if you know? Tks

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

For you viewing pleasure...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  6. usnret

usnret New Member

Tks eferz. I kinda figure that most of the things that don't work for you shud work when they come out with the official load.Tks again.

7. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Interesting that according to the video, there is no netflix app. That is a show stopper for many. I imagine that it will be ready by the time honeycomb launched. I hope that the android app store only lists apps that work on GTV or else it can cause some confusion. Google needs to start testing the apps so that rogue apps are not installed.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  8. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If you look up the app on the Android Market, Dictionary.com app is a cached copy for when your on the go and don't have internet access. Obviously, its meant more for mobile phones than TVs. The developer apparently isn't restricting access from Google TV. And no, you won't be blocked. Its just an alternate source for your word definition needs.

10. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

BLACKTOOTHGRIN New Member

I sure hope that the official release is better.
    With as much hype as HC coming to the Revue has created, the leaked version is pretty disappointing.
    Maybe that's part of the reason for the huge price drop, and they know that people won't spend even the $200
    on a device that's lacking so much, even if it is HC operated. :confused:

11. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I would like to know why you have such a negative opinion of the leaked HC. I have not found many people that share that opinion. Could you point me to these complaints

12. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Sure.

Without getting too repetitive, the video pretty much says it all.
    So far...it only looks like minor aesthetic changes were made to the UI. (big deal)
    Yes...the Android Market is now integrated, but with only 10 compatible apps so far...(big deal)
    No Netflix. (among other apps that may be missing.)

I honestly don't see why anyone would jump for joy over any of that.
    Yes...there is more room to grow now, but how long will it take for everyone to jump on board?

The other part is...how many of Revue's flaws and bugs were corrected??
    (no mention of that yet)
    As it stands right now, the Revue has a slight edge of functionality over a brick.
    Here's a small (simple but direct) example of one of the MANY things it can't do as advertised:
    This thing was built to have an amazing search function,
    yet it can't even find content on storage device hooked directly to it via usb.
    Take a look at the Revue forums on Logitech.
    There's a heck of alot more negative than positive.
    (and for good reason)

I guess my main problem is with the Revue's (current) limited functionality,
    and what was expected to be paid for that limited ability.
    Because of that alone, I'm not impressed with this device at all.
    Not for $300
    Not for $200
    $99....now that's reasonable for what it could POSSIBLY do,
    but I'm starting to think that the drastic price drop is just signaling abandonment.

That's just MY opinion I suppose.
    Maybe others don't mind paying out the --- for something as *functionless*, but I do.
    Like I said though...$99 isn't bad, but that's about as far as it goes with me. :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  13. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Try reading over at the GTVHacker forum. There are many more than 10 apps that can be added. Codec support for the media player has greatly improved. Chrome is much more feature rich to include the addition of being able to import you chrome bookmarks. Favorites channels have been added for easy accessnwhile watching tv. Also remember this a developer version of and does not have everything enabled that the full release should

14. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know what Honeycomb means, I don't own a smart phone or use Android but I have been using the Logitech Google TV for a week and think it is great. If Honeycomb 3.1 makes the product even better, that is good news. Most of the complaints I read regarding the GoogleTV shortcomings refer to accessing local content over their network or drive connected by USB. I don't have anything to access except about 2TB of TiVo OTA recordings and there is not going to be anyway this device will ever access that but I don't care since I will just play that with the TiVoHDs. Even though I don't care about that aspect of the product and never will, it does appear to me to be something that will be improved greatly very quickly.

I wanted access to internet streaming without connecting a computer to an HDTV and if there is a better product than Google TV for that purpose, I haven't read about it yet. There is some redundancy to the internet streaming my TiVoHD does, PS3 does and Oppo BDP-93 does but there is no way any of those other devices were going to be updated to do as much with internet streaming as I wanted or do it as well as this product. Since dropping DirecTV, I have wanted something like Google TV so I am delighted with the product as it is now and it should get better, bring on Honeycomb 3.1 and I will figure out what it is at some point.

15. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

great suggestion... instead of being some doom sayer, with some kind cyber chip on his shoulder do some freaking leg work and research a bit.. tooth.. i love the idea this thing has been rooted because i know its the users that will take control of dev.. it reminds me of Rockbox ..when i got my iriver mp3 player its was clunky but some cats rooted and devloped an alternate op system for them.. and its now a very slick full featured unit... thats the same thing that will happen with honeycomb home brew devs will make all sorts of cool aps it will take time but it will happen.. and dont expect polished products when its in fish tank. i have worked as a sw dev,, full working proto is not often the case... you should not expect the full user experience..

sorry to jack the thread a bit... but i cant stand ill informed gossip..
    its a good idea to head over to gtvhackers fourm for the real scoop..

16. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

This thread so reminds me in many ways the days of Webtv and the beloved Dishplayer..

Old school baby

Kev

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't know why any of y'all are ganging up on BlackToothGrin. He simply just defined his disappointment with the developer's leak and he has very valid points. Also, I'm sure he fully understands that it is a developer's leak since he specifically wrote in his original post....

And I happen to agree with him, otherwise there's really no need to delay its official release is there?

18. BLACKTOOTHGRIN

It's nice to see that someone actually read what was written,
    rather than reading MORE into what was written. ;)

...and for the record Scuzzo,
    There's no chip on my shoulder.
    I don't need to spend countless hours "researching" every forum and review known to man just to form a solid opinion of a devise that's right in front of me and used everyday. :rolleyes:

19. crunit100

crunit100 New Member

to be honest, when i saw the HC video I had to check the date of the post because it looks worse than the current OS. I am very pleased with this product as is and don't really understand any complaints. it does exactly what it says it would do and the functionality is awesome.

20. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I agree with BlackTooth as well. I was hoping that they would have made HC's interface more TV suitable. Hopefully the quality of apps is what will make the HC update worth it.