Quantcast

Home video conf options ... now that Revue is discontinued

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by dougm, Nov 23, 2011.

1. dougm

dougm New Member

I must admit my primary interest in GoogleTV STBs was to provide easy video conf'ing on the TV of my parents/in-laws to other family members. I was poised to by the Revue and cameras, when I saw the annoucement that the product line was discontinued.

My question is this, are there other products / apps that provide similar TV to TV and TV to PC/Mac video conferenceing features.

Revue was a no-brainer for connecting non-tech savy parents/grandparents to kids/grandkids scattered about the net.

dougm

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Not really. The Logitech Revue is the first "companion" box to provide video conferencing with handful of internet apps. There are home video conferencing set-top boxes by Cisco but they're fairly an expensive proposition that do not include other apps. There are a few Blu-Ray players listed on the Skype for TV website that have some internet apps but they also be very costly after paying for both the device and the webcam.

I believe that even though the Logitech Revue is discontinued, the Logitech Revue + TV Cam combo pack which are currently being sold at the local Best Buys for $129.99 and are rumored to be discounted to $105.00 during Black Friday are still the better value. Especially, this Christmas season if you're looking for a video conferencing solution with other apps. I have even finished my "difficult to shop for gift recipents" Christmas shopping by purchasing a few of these packages.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member