Quantcast

Home Theater Audio Issues Resolve

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Rickaren, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Home Theater Audio Issues Resolve

My Audio Issues

Sound levels routinely wander up & down (TV live or recorded)
    Other TV's & computer create an echo sound effect if on at same time
    Home theater sound (7.1 system) degraded due to Google TV integration

Present Setup
    Dish VIP 622
    Logitech Review
    SRS MyVolume HDMI control
    Onkyo HT-S9100 THX A/V receiver w/seven speaker & sub-woofer (7-1) system
    ALL HDMI cables

My Solution
    Run HDMI output cable from DVR to new purchased HDMI Amplified Splitter Input

Run One Output to new purchased HDMI Switcher inputs 1 of 3

Ran One Output to IN of Revue Google Box

Ran Output of Revue Box to new purchased HDMI Switcher inputs 2 of 3

Output HDMI cable then goes to A/V receiver & press Pair/Reset button on back of Revue (same cable that previously was used as output from Google TV and before was output from DVR)

By selecting Input #1 on HDMI Switcher (hand held remote or manual button)the Google TV box is bypassed

By selecting Input #2 on HDMI Switcher (hand held remote or manual button) the Google TV box is active on your TV

Input #3 not used in my set up, but could be in the future for a game console

Overview
    By adding these items it is now possible to by-pass Google TV as it is still connected, thus correcting ALL sound issues I experienced adding it to my present setup. Yes I do enjoy the integration with my DVR but at present 99% is recorded or live programing, not using Google TV. As time goes on maybe that percentage will decrease. The switcher comes with a small remote (did not work new but could be a defective battery) and also can be switched manually. Easily controlled and an easy install. I have no complaint with the present front speaker only sound generated from using Google streaming programs from AmazonVideo on Demand, having purchased two.

Many may not know that adding 5.1 output sound has always been an issue since I became a satellite TV customer way back in 1993. DISH DBS, DirecTV and VOOM did not have it available and even some premium channels were not supplied with it until just recently. I'm hopeful this will be corrected soon with Google TV but with my work-around now not a real issue anymore.

My purchases of the HDMI Splitter and HDMI Switch (see below) could be useful to others wishing to add game systems or other HDMI TVs to their present set ups. They both have great reviews and were inexpensive ($40 total), purchasing from Amazon. I recommend both.

Equipment Added

$31OtzXCjrxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Ultra High Performance HDMI 3-1 Switcher

$413f19LeVRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

HDMI Splitter Amplifier 1 In, 2 Out
    $41HQypXBQKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    2-3Ft HDMI M/M cables for HDTV

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. Rickaren

Just wanted to let all members here to know this temporary work-around works great. Tonight my Wife wanted to view a Movie on Amazon Video On Demand, so I hit the Manual Input button #2 on the HDMI switcher (still have not got a new battery for the remote) then hit Home and chose A V O D and bought it! I have the DISH DVR only on Input #1 to the A/V reciver and the GTV on Input #2 going to the A/V receiver. Everything went just fine except near the end of viewing, the screen-saver came on. This is only my third streaming purchase and the longest. Wife said "Now What?" since the sound was on with no picture. Hit the back button on the keyboard and all was well, again. Guess I could have hit any button, just like a computer that goes to sleep. No big deal. After viewing, put back on Input #1 and watched recorded programs on the DVR.

NOTE: Using #2 Input position is same as the recommended original install that links both the DISH DVR & the GTV box.

:):):):):) All members and visitors here should check out Amazon's Movie Link if they have not already. Could be a major reason to buy and use GTV!

[​IMG]

Over 75,000 movies & shows available per their Site (click on below image attachment to enlarge & read) Hard to grasp that amount!

$tcg_860x374._V197462844_.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  3. gerryger

gerryger New Member

I was wondering why you are using a HDMI switch. Can't you use the AVR to switch the HDMI signals. Not sure if you have multiple HDMI inputs on your AVR. Also, does the splitter have to be amplified. I was going to try just a normal splitter. I can't see how that won't work since the multiple HDMI signals coming from the splitter will never be used at the same time due to my AVR switching the signals for me.

This is all based on assuming that the 2 outputs from the splitter only become active when there is a call for it from the AVR or do they remain active all the time. If they do both remain active at the same time may cause a problem do to a weakened HDMI signal. This scenerio may require an amplified splitter. Any thoughts?

4. Rickaren

Geryger if you check the pricing of these items they are very reasonable and in the future could be used for other installation issues. Yes there are four HDMI Inputs on the AVR and use three (2 satellites and DVD) plus TV has three and use only one. Don't want any more cables. Just my simple as possible set-up, but you can use more cables, if you want. The switch allows manual or the use of a small remote, included. The present location of my GTV unit is about 6' from the AVR so who knows if it needs to be amplified, but everything works great. In the future I may just remove both, as improvements to this early GTV units software are updated. I only had to purchase short 3' HDMI cables ($1.02) to add these and still use the present longer and at the time expensive HDMI HD cable, the was originally hooked to the DISH DVR. I suspect to see the addition of even adding a wireless printer, as I have with my notebook presently. Lots could be done to improve the present box, and hopefully will. Some members here have asked about an off switch for their Logitech Review and yes it is on all-the-time, but with this set up I have eliminated it using Input #1 (active), or in #2 position (active) both the DISH DVR & GTV box are active as originally installed. Works great for me and with a rather complicated system controlled by the Harmony ONE Remote my Wife has no problems switching between DVRs from both DirecTV and DISH that are both HDMI imputed to the AVR.

Does this help? As with any HT install no two may be the same.

5. gerryger

gerryger New Member

I do understand your setup. My setup will be slightly different from yours. You are taking the output from your DVR and splitting it with the amplified splitter. I assume both lines will always be active as long as the DVR is powered. You then take 1 line to the Revue and the other line to a switch. Then you take the output from the Revue to a 2nd input on the switch. At this point all lines are still active. Then you finalize your setup with 1 line from the switch to your AVR input. From this point on you will only have one active line going to your AVR by changing the ouputs on the switch. THIS IS THE MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR SETUP AND MINE. With my setup I will have 2 active lines going to the AVR (which I think may become a problem).

DVR>>>SPLITTER>>>>#1 line to AVR>>>>#2 line to GTV and then finally GTV to AVR.

The above depicts 2 active lines to the AVR. I then can use my AVR remote to change the inputs. That's not what I am worried about. I am worried about picture quality due to the fact that I have 2 lines going into my AVR which will always be active.

Do you think it will still work?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  6. Rickaren

Sure! I sometimes do have both active DVRs running to the AVR at the same time, then have the programed remote select the input to display to the large screen TV.
    (outputs from both DVRs can be viewed in other locations in the home if they are powered-up too,) No issues at all. I could do the same thing except I don't want to re-program the remote (yet) or purchase another long HDNI cable. You have it all figured out correctly so just do it and enjoy. Let us know how it works out. Good Luck!

7. gerryger

gerryger New Member

Thanks Rick.
    I'll let you know how I make out.

8. Rickaren

Gerryger you were right again, since I found the following Post on one of my satellite "Discussion Groups"

Yes it looks like the DISH VIP 622 has plenty of power for a splitter & switch (and hub) using the HDMI cables. When I unplugged the power to the powered switch I installed, the red power light stayed lite, proving it was receiving power from the DVR just like USB cable power many items that one plugs into their computer, like a camera to charge.

I left the powered switch inline anyway plugged into 120V. Don't see that it will cause an issue.

How you doing with your project?