Quantcast

Home Screen / Launcher Alternatives

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by xlightwaverx, Feb 5, 2012.

1. xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx New Member

I am trying to find the best Home Screen / Launcher Alternative App for the Google TV.

The com.google.tv.launcher (Typical Home/Launcher) appears to be utilizing 15.84Mb of RAM (no widgets/no wallpaper) that continuously runs in the background. It seems to me when you find yourself running a large amount of applications for whatever reason, the home screen gets bogged down and unresponsive when you call for it.

I have found some other Home Screen Alternatives that work well with the Google TV, but more importantly, I would like to find ones that work better than the original.

I am using one called Zeam Launcher, which is essentially a typical multi-screen Launcher, but it uses a very limited about of RAM and does not stay running in the background when an app is launched (least from what I can find.) Whenever I call it (using Home Button) while my system is bogging it seems to be fairly responsive still.

You can find it on XDA. (Would post link but apparently I am not talking enough on this forum yet.)

Has anyone found any other alternatives?

Thanks,

X

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I use the free version of Launcher Pro.

I'm wondering could your problem w/the homepage be due to low Bandwidth. I'd do a few speed tests to make sure. As for an alternative homepage, I doubt that's possible. You will always have the default homepage running. So adding another homepage may defeat your purpose.

I use Launcher Pro in conjunction w/the default homepage.

Carl

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx New Member

I do have low bandwidth issues (2-3Mbit/Sec) but how can you relate them to the source of the lag in terms of a Launcher App?

X

4. Carlszone

Hi

It's not the launcher App I'm relating your Bandwidth speed to. It is your initial complaint that the homepage is bogging ya down. Revue's homepage is so stripped down, I didn't believe I was on it the first time I fired it up.. Compared to other set top boxes, you really can't take much more away.

Hence, I suggested you do some speed tests...

Hmm...It actually wouldn't be a bad idea for there to be a Speed test on this site. Folks needing help with GTV could post there speed to ensure their problem doesn't originate there.

Carl

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Carlszone

Hi

If I've misunderstood you, and the problem is not w/the homepage but with a launcher app, then the same could still apply. I try to start w/the simplest troubleshooting steps first. If your speed is not adequate, it has everything to do with how the Revue performs.

I recently had a glitch w/my broadband where it fell under 1 MB. The homepage took forever to load and the Launcher Pro App went into hiding. I was getting the Force Close error msg for Chrome after viewing 3 posts. And the browser was also not responding often when I clicked on links.

And forget about Netflix and playing most media content.

I pulled the plug on the Modem for 30 seconds and all returned to normal.

Check w/your Broadband provider and see if you can upgrade.

Carl