Quantcast

Hmmm - Logitech Had Been Testing And Working With The 3.1 Update Since Summer

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 23, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I know Logitech received the finished Honeycomb update from Google in the end of October. But this article from June 22nd states:

"We can confirm that Logitech is testing the new software on Revue units on their campus and working with in-house developers to prepare a suite of apps for its users."

AnandTech - Google TV 2.0 Coming to Logitech Revue This Summer

------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what to make of this. But I found it interesting. So IMO this implies that Logitech was not totally in the dark about the update - and they were working with earlier unfinished versions of the 3.1 update (supplied to them from Google).

So if that was the case - why are they still not ready 5 months later? And are they really planning on adding some new super-duper apps? (or maybe that was their Harmony component)?

2. icecream

icecream New Member

This is crazy ! just roll the update out already! Logitech is holding us hostage with this update :mad:

in fact, today I just received another system update on my Sony TV so Sony has now officially rolled out 2 updates vs. logitech 0 update - someone is definitely asleep at the update wheel.

BTW the 46 inch Sony Google TV is now on sale at Newegg for the low, low price of $698 - item no# N82E16889252115 @ newegg.com

3. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Didn't the CEO claim that the main problem with the Revue's low sales numbers was due to Google not timely supplying the HC update to Logitech???? Corporate executives in the United States make utterances SOLELY for the purpose of influencing their option-based compensation. Often, their stock options dwarf their formal salaries. So the update will be released on the date on which those options have maximum value!!! And not one minute before.

4. sarreq

sarreq Member

Logitech is a Swiss company

5. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Make that "corporate executives in the United States and Switzerland, whose corporate stock is traded in the public markets..."

6. icecream

icecream New Member

Okay Logitech! enough with the testing, just release the @#$* Honeycomb update, or at least release the RTM build to a few of us to beta test so at least we know someone is alive in the revue dep't.

Also you should keep in mind, December 22nd (the first day of winter) is less than 3 weeks away and you risk litigation from some disgruntled fans that can easily end up being a class action......

Coming Fall 2011 - Automatic upgrade to Google TV with Android 3.1 - Free

Coming Winter 2011 - Automatic Class Action - Free:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

They are already liable.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Go ahead and provide a list of the successful class action lawsuits resulting from tech product firmware update delays. I can list dozens of delays but can't think of a single successful lawsuit, it is the nature of the product and any consumer should know delays are common. I do expect the Revue update prior to December 22 but if it doesn't happen, I am sure not going to lose any sleep nor will I contact an attorney. If there is a class action lawsuit and settlement, expect attorneys to get paid and participants in the lawsuit to get a coupon for a percentage off a product we will never buy.

9. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

I'ld take coupon for Sony Blue ray - GTV :)

10. icecream

icecream New Member

hopefully you are aware that most class action litigation is used as a tool to send a message to said companies & motivate them to take corrective action when customers are frustrated / unhappy with the product whether it be software or hardware related, this is why attorneys always do pro bono as they receive the lump sum of settlement. Companies especially ones in flux usually settles quickly before the publicity affects the bottom line. Short answer is success when going after a public company is measured by different metrics non-withstanding verdicts or arbitration.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  11. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Member

I am just waiting for all the complaints after it is released. Trust me, it will go on and on, just look at the complaints from the Sony People....LOL

12. thedude

thedude Member

Guess what? Google has Revue devices in its offices. I know this from friends who work at Google. No excuse for this kind of delay.

At this point the lack of an update is comical. Whatever we get better rule, and if there's ever a class action against Logitech for this, count me in.

:)

13. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 8
  14. CatfishRivers

Nice find. Hopefully this means the update is near.

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Very cool. Thanks for reporting it.

16. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

A mighty fine catch if I say so myself.... [​IMG]

17. c1tobor

c1tobor New Member

I'm confused. They put the page up and then took it down?
    :confused:
    Ive bought the Revue w/cam but have'nt opened it yet, (waiting to see if the Honeycomb update is real and improves the device enough to live up to its hype). A little worried though as I also own the much alinged Viewsonic GTab, which had the same kinda thing happen to it that the Revue is experiencing.
    :mad:
    But thanks to the Dev's, I love my Gtab. I'm hoping that Logitech will atleast open up the Bootloader on this device if the update is the last support we will see from Logitech. (Petition signed).:cool:

I'm also concerned that they will hold the update until the last possible moment so that if its a failure many people will be beyond the "return" window that bought it as a Xmas gift.

Frustrating to say the least.:p

18. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

It also says "And with apps for your TV available in the Androidâ„¢ Market later this year, there's no telling what your TV will be able to do.*"

19. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

This is the old site for the GTV1.0. Look at the printsceen eferz put above, that says Now with Android 3.1 and Market.

20. CatfishRivers

There's a new thread on the Logitech Revue forum in which a Revue owner claims he received the 3.1 update (near the time frame that Logitech had their 3.1 web page up). Some posters are dubious of the post. He did post a link to a pic - but he states he will post another pic when he gets home from work (showing the update build number).

So I think it's worthwhile to mention it here - and you can judge for yourself:

Just got the 3.1 UPDATE!!!!! for revue!! - Logitech Forums