Quantcast

Hisense Pulse With Google TV Now In Stock On Amazon

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 20, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. CatfishRivers

3. CatfishRivers

HiSense Pulse Google TV set-top box now available for $99 (click for full article)

posted on Dec 20th 2012 by Quentyn Kennemer

"Another affordable Google TV option is hitting store shelves starting today, folks. HiSense is the benefactor for the unit you see below, the $99 Pulse that looks to be a very sleek set-top box with quite the solid remote to go along with it. It's not some amazing magical artifact or the end all, be all of the Google TV world, but for $99 there's not much risk to enable your home theater with internet connected bliss.

Google TV has been perhaps the most underachieving element of Google's Android machine so far, but we can't quite pinpoint what it is. Pricing was to blame initially as the first Google TV unit - Logitech's Revue - debuted at an obnoxious $300. Since then we've gotten some very nice units for that far more attractive $100 price point, including Vizio's Co-Star. While we can't be sure how those are selling just yet we imagine things aren't terribly exciting in the balancing books."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  4. guest

guest Active Member

The biggest problem that I have with the Revue is "latency", which is the delay in getting to webpages or the delay when hitting the backbutton to reach the previous webpage. And the problem isn't solved with a trillion mbps connection, either. So, any GTV device that solves that issue is one that gets placed in my "To Be Ordered" folder!

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

6. rehughe

rehughe New Member

Just ordered one, and Amazon says delivery for Monday. I'm hoping this will finally let me ditch my Revue!!

7. CatfishRivers

I wish you good luck - however IMHO all the GTV boxes currently are running the same underlying GTV OS. I'm not sure that the Marvell Armada processor in the new Google TV boxes is really that much better or faster than the Intel Atom chip in the first generation boxes. The amount of RAM at 1GB is the same. A lot of the "bugs" in my opinion are software related. I'm personally in no rush to ditch my Revue.

I could care less about voice search - I'd be more interested in a second generation GTV box if they came with an optional full-sized bluetooth keyboard, a more modern Chrome browser and increased Flash stability. All GTV boxes are also on the same (rather outdated) Flash 10.2 version.

So far the customer reviews for the Vizio Co-Star and Sony NSZ-GS7 on Amazon are no better than the reviews for the first generation GTV devices. If anything the first generation GTV boxes have higher rated reviews on Amazon.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  8. rehughe

rehughe New Member

Oh I completely agree. The only reason I'm fed up with my Revue is stability. I don't know what happened, but after they upgraded my Revue to Honeycomb, its been a complete disaster. My Revue used to be work flawlessly, and I absolutely loved it, now I basically just use it as a universal remote because if I try to do anything at all besides look in the guide, it crashes.

I've tried the latest Sony offering, but sent it back because of the remote. It wouldn't let me easily power on/off my TV, AVR, and cable box.

SO...I just want a stable Google TV box that will easily turn on/off my receiver, TV, and cable box.

9. CatfishRivers

Sorry to hear about that. I did a factory reset of my Revue and then installed the "Smart Ram Booster" app (and set it to "automatic" setting) - this gives me decent enough performance on my Revue. Please post about your user experience with the Hisense Pulse after you have had a chance to try it out.

I think many people will be interested. Good Luck!

10. ChrisG8

Good news, you may be the first member to get one. It will be exciting to read what you have to say about performance. I also believe your Revue can be returned to a properly functioning state, I am running two of them without issues. As Catfish indicates, resetting to factory defaults, running Smart RAM booster will probably do the trick. I was able to bring a Revue to its knees by installing and running a great number of apps but taking control, using it in a manner that doesn't bring it to a grinding halt means it works well. I do expect an improvement in the second generation boxes as a result of the better processor but not so much that I have to have one. I can find no apps running only on ARM processors that mean I must have one, the differences right now don't amount to much in my opinion.

11. ChrisG8

I don't know about your cable box but all I can do with any I have ever used is turn off the video output, not actually turn off the box. That is exactly the same situation with TiVo, I can go into the menu and put it in standby, killing video out but otherwise it runs 24 hours a day. If your cable box is a DVR, that situation is a certainty. Given that caveat, I can do what you request plus control AV receiver volume with the Logitech K700 keyboard and either my Sony NSZ-GT1 or Logitech Revue and my equipment. I would think if your AV receiver, TV and cable box are ordinary, not rare or unusual, like mine you can do the same given proper setup. I can also do this with the original Sony NSZ-GT1 remote but I much prefer the Logitech K700 keyboard so it is sitting in its box, unused.

12. rehughe

rehughe New Member

I'll have to give your guy's suggestions a try with my Revue, as I really like the device.

I'll be sure to post up my initial impressions once I get the Pulse all plugged in....

13. guest

guest Active Member

Catfish, is there a more advanced processor, something better than the Marvell Armada, that we should be on the lookout for? Or has one not been developed yet? Thanks.

14. CatfishRivers

The processors are getting better and faster all the time. However currently only the Marvell Armada and the MediaTek chip are officially "Google TV certified". LG uses their own custom chip for their GTV televisions. I don't think we will see a new chip in Google TV devices for another year at the earliest. If the GTV devices could be built with 2 GB of RAM that would be a nice improvement IMO - as many web sites are over-bloated and they are essentially designed for computers with more resources.

I came across this article about Nvidia's new quad-core chip that is due out in 2013 - and it is supposed to be six times faster than the Tegra-3:

NVIDIA's next quad-core chip could be 6x faster than Tegra 3 - Liliputing

We will see this new chip in tablets and mobile devices - but IMO probably not GTV devices - because it would tend to raise their cost too much. It appears to be very important to keep the prices low for these GTV boxes. If Google continues to improve the GTV software - the Marvell Armada should be fine. As I mentioned I think many of the issues with GTV are software related....

15. guest

guest Active Member

I don't believe Google is considered to be a hotbed of software innovation. That prize goes to the smaller, more nimble companies. Of course, Google eats these companies for breakfast, as did/does Microsoft (i.e. the webtv purchase; yeah webtv - it was an extraordinary innovation at the time!).

Edit: I think Google TV will fall by the roadside. (I think that's the metaphor!) I think the technology is going to morph into tablets/mobile devices being connected to HDTV's.

16. ChrisG8

The price dropped $5, pretty cool.

17. Scarpad

Scarpad New Member

Just ordered today should be here monday.

18. Scarpad

Scarpad New Member

Received my box today, first it was missing the IR Blaster in a sealed box. It hooked up easy enough, but the instructions are fairly awful. I have it running, for some reason Netflix refuses to open, just says there is a problem. Plex runs well enough. Going to have to contact jisense about the IR Blaster, without it the google TV Aspect of the box is fairly worthless

19. rehughe

rehughe New Member

Got mine today too, and sending back. It won't turn on/off my set top box.

Back to Revue for me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

20. ChrisG8

I had to buy an IR blaster for a Sony NSZ-GT1, the one I bought sure isn't very powerful but it works if placed precisely pointing at the IR receivers of the TV and TiVo. If you have one sitting around from a VCR or some other device, it will probably work if it has the correct jack, not sure if the Pulse has 2.5MM or 3.5MM. My Revue has 2.5 and NSZ-GT1 3.5.