Quantcast

Hisense Pulse GX1200V Google TV device (NEW Retail) for $59.99 shipped

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mrspock, Nov 26, 2013.

1. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just a note of caution about the Hisense Pulse - Hisense discontinued manufacturing of the Pulse - although they claim they still "support" the pulse. Whatever that means. Several Pulse users have posted that Hisense support told them that they have no plans on updating the Pulse to Jellybean. I cannot predict what Hisense might or might not do with GTV in the future - just passing along the information that I know.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

It would probably be a positive "market-shakeout" development if Sony is the only box remaining for the Jelly Bean update, which could prompt Google into making their own box at some point, with Sony phasing-out support for GoogleTV by not going further than the Jelly Bean update: Google solely remaining with a new 3rd generation box. There are lot of advantages in that situation, one of which is where Google could ensure updates of their own hardware (boxes) in a timely manner.

Understandably, Google "gave it a try" with partnering with the hardware manufacturing end of it, attracting substantive "name brands" like Sony and Logitech, but in retrospect, Google providing their own "AndroidTV" boxes is the best way to go for users and Google, itself. I hope it happens that way.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Ever heard of the term throwing good money after bad?

The Nexus devices didn't create the Android market - that was 3rd party devices from the likes of Samsung, LG, HTC, etc. Nexus devices (which are stripped down versions of 3rd party hardware) exist to push Android in new directions at Google's pace. Until people start paying $200/month for streaming device subscriptions, the markets aren't comparable.

5. Travel

Travel Active Member

I read that four times and it still didn't make any sense.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Then try to understand that the market for a streaming device .vs. a phone are very different.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have quite a lot of experience with Google TV, I don't own this model but in my opinion anybody looking for a new Google TV box should buy either the Sony NSZ-GS7 or NSZ-GS8. The others are certainly very similar and much of the operation will be basically the same but the Sony models can be found at bargain prices now and are just a better bet, even at $30 or so premium compared to the others.

8. Travel

Travel Active Member

Try starting another thread, because that has zero to do with what I posted and doesn't make any sense.

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

Also, I'm going to report you to the moderator if you keep it up in following me around and starting frivolous arguments. I'm trying avoid this nonsense, but you keep it up. Don't quote and respond to my particular posts. Easy to do.

10. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

The Hisense Pulse w/ the Neo TV Prime a close runner up, was definitely my worst box experience. And this may sound funny, but not because it performed abysmally from the start. But just the opposite. It auto-installed all my apps and retrieved all my synced Bookmarks. The cable box and channel setup was smooth. A few hours of surfing and I w/a sigh of relief decided that this would be my 2nd GTV device. Amazon played so well I mistakenly thought it was HD.

It was only a few hours later when all hell broke loose. The remote keyboard started going haywire. The Primetime app lost all my channels I had so painstakingly entered. I called the support only to find that I had to navigate a hard to follow Phone Menu for their free 90 day support. Once I got a CSR a half hour later his first question about the Primetime guide was to ask me if it was a Windows feature.

I hung up...

Carl

11. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

$50 today.

Streaming Media Player for $49.99 + Free Shipping on 1Sale.com

I guess a case could be made to own several different models to be ready if some smart person figures out a great hack to make one of the various models a dream box. I don't think it will ever happen so I am not going to add this model but I have often been wrong about such things.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  12. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be great!

I really wanted to like all of the units I tried. But once I experienced the Logitech Revue none of the devices came close to it in ease of use for me except the GS-7. Of all the GTV attempts the Sony devices all had less reports of problems in all the groups I've participated in. I'd really be curious to know what the percentages were on returns of all the devices & TVs. I still think Vizio played around w/the numbers by replacing units so often. After awhile it could of been hard to tell which devices were actually sold & kept and which were eventually returned as defective.

13. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The GS7 is actually a really great media player. The one thing I preferred about the Revue was the Harmony database built in. It really could control far more things than the GS7. For example, I could never get the return key of the Roku to work via the GS7, something that was trivial with the Revue. I did get the ATV3 to work by having the Apple TV learn the Sony's remote.

There is this neat USB product called firc, I think, that puts the learning capability than an AZtV has into a number of things such as an HTPC, Boxee Box, Raspberry Pi and others. Be neat if it worked with the GTV.

Philip