Quantcast

Hisense Pulse Delivers Fastest Google TV On The Market [CES 2013]

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 9, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

HiSense Pulse Delivers 'Fastest' Google TV Box On The Market [CES 2013] (click for full article)

"SmartTV's and the technology that powers them are being highlighted en masse at CES 2013 and the team at HiSense claims to have the fastest Google TV 3.0 box on the market. Indeed my early, yet brief, testing of the product did reveal super fast display times with an easy to navigate controller for the units."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Is this really true - or is it just hype? Inquiring minds want to know -:)

All of the new GTV boxes are running the same Marvell Armada 1500 processor, all have 1Gb of RAM, all run the same version of the GTV OS.

So if it's true then the Hisense Pulse would have superior firmware (drivers)? How could they accomplish this over a bigger company such as Sony and Vizio?

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Maybe the Pulse is a 3rd Gen (waiting for update) :)

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If it is true, I think the reason would be Hisense has done nothing extra, no special UI, no special requirements taxing the processor during operation. If objective tests indicate it is faster, I will accept that it is true, simple is usually faster. I know Vizio has their own special UI which is probably slower, additional code, additional commands to execute. I haven't seen what the Sony NSZ-GS7 is running that would change it but the hardware is different, optical audio output, additional USB port and processing allocated to handle the hardware is probably greater. This isn't like the speed difference between Usain Bolt and the average human, it is more like the difference when he crosses the finish line ahead of the other world class sprinters. A very minor selling point but if true, worth mentioning if you are Hisense. I suspect worldwide, Hisense is bigger than Vizio, but of course not in the USA.

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

Skeptic here, but not adding anything special making it faster makes sense.

6. guest

guest Active Member

Google needs to step up to the plate and take charge. They can do that either by having Motorola be the sole manufacturer and giving the device the cutting-edge technology it deserves or by saying to their manufacturing partners: "You can use the GoogleTV platform, but you need to do this, this and this." Picture Steve Jobs in charge of Google TV and you'll know what I have in mind. It's crazy. The whole thing is balkanized. Every tom, dick and harry is manufacturing a "Google TV". But these guys aren't Steve Perlmans (one of WebTV's creators), they're bean-counters, "me-too's". They're not creating something revolutionary or pushing the envelope with their designs. Is there anyone REALLY in charge of Google TV technology? The name "Google TV" is being degraded in the quest to save a $1.00 by using last years' chip designs. Last years' everything!