Quantcast

Hisense Has A New 40" GTV Jellybean Television On Sale For $298.96

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 15, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Howdy folks. Hisense has a new 40" GTV Jellybean television currently on sale for $298.96. The TV is only available from PCRichard.com. There is currently a thread about this TV in the Google+ Google TV Community - (several people purchased the TV and are posting about it). Here's the link to the thread:

https://plus.google.com/117535277420004542098/posts/Vg8BxAyQinm

And here's the link to the television on the PCRichard web site:

Hisense 40" Class LED 1080p HDTV with Built-In Wi-Fi and Android 4.2 | PCRichard.com

2. CatfishRivers

I don't get why Hisense doesn't even have this TV on their own web site. Somebody on the other thread said Hisense has a special exclusive arrangement with PCRichard for this TV. I have never even heard of PCRichard before this. Seems to me if Hisense wants to maximize sales that Amazon would be the way to go.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. ericd

ericd Active Member

Just speculating here, but it could be just a test run before they enter into full production. After the LG's updated their GTV's to Android 4.2, there was a flood of complaints into LG support about the loss of flash and compatability issues with the Playstore. I'm almost positive other OEM's took notice of the problems encountered with the update and GTV in general. So instead of jumping into Android TV headfirst, Hisense's going to dip their toes in before a full roll out.

I also suspect that Sony's delay in releasing the 4.2 update has a lot to do with all the complaints and requests for a update rollback from LG

I'm interested to see some more input from GTV Friends and others who purchased the new set. Is it a true GTV (or Android TV, or TV with Google Play Services... or whatever they're calling it this week:rolleyes:) device or just a standard TV with an ARM processor tacked on? If it is the latter, you can get the same thing by adding a simple $60 dongle to an existing TV. Either way, despite the old saying, some news is good news.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That is certainly a fair price. My guess is Hisense decided against a full scale release of the product after developing it and manufacturing a limited quantity although I don't have a guess as to the reason for that decision. It is much easier to handle a small quantity through a single retailer, sales and support training is the primary reason. The quantity was either too small for Best Buy or Best Buy declined to carry it. I don't know what it means for Hisense Google TV products but I hope the new Pulse will be released soon.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I never heard of them before either CatfishRivers and decided to check in to them and the reason is I never heard of them is they are still family owned and not some big cooperation owned stores and have been around since 1909 as I was leary of them too.

If you go to their website and look at their store locations they are only in about 4 states or so is why you and I never heard about them until now - Wikipedia page about them is at P. C. Richard & Son - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia if that helps any

6. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

We have a PC Richards by us their similar to a Best Buy. We use them when making larger purchases because you can haggle pricing with them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

7. CatfishRivers

I noticed the Hisense Jellybean TV from PCRichard comes with free shipping. Seems like a good deal. It looks like from the PCRichard web site they would normally charge $49 for shipping:

Shipping Information

I noticed in the specs that this television only has 1GB of RAM - the same as all the GTV devices on the market. I've never bought a Hisense television - has anybody here ever tried a TV from Hisense - and if so did you have a good experience with it?

8. CatfishRivers

Yeah a test run makes sense. I first noticed this TV about 3 weeks ago and posted about it on post #7 in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...e-takes-first-stab-defining-android-tv-2.html

I believe this TV was released shortly after CES and has only been on the market for 3 to 4 weeks. As you can see from my other post on January 22nd this TV was selling for $399 previously. Ordinarily it's a bad sign (from a marketing perspective) if a new product is slashed in price by 25% so soon after release. This would tend to indicate slow sales.

It could be that Hisense is primarily interested in getting this TV in enough consumers hands to evaluate it performance wise before a bigger rollout - and the profit on this TV is not the primary concern. However they could also be "testing" how well the TV sells at various price points as part of their research. I know the price of TVs have been coming down - but I have to wonder if Hisense would think that there is enough profit margin involved at the $300 price point for a bigger rollout.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ChrisG8

Hisense manufactures and sells products under their own brand names and also for other companies as an OEM. I don't know which brands you might see on store shelves now that were actually manufactured by Hisense in the same plants as this TV but since Hisense is one of the biggest OEMs in terms of quantity of TVs manufactured, it is safe to say some will be. Best Buy, Vizio, and any other company that doesn't manufacture products but sells products with their name brands are where I would expect to find Hisense manufactured sets. I have known about the company for years just because I was curious about who might have actually manufactured the Vizio TV I was interested in buying. Vizio doesn't disclose who makes which products and Vizio is a large company, at least as far as TV sales are concerned, and has used several OEMs over the years to make TV sets.

• Like Like x 2
  10. icecream

icecream New Member

I picked up this TV, this is a full android TV (Jellybean) with multitasking capabilities (Vidda), Miracast mirroring works from moto x & Nexus 5. every app I tried works flawlessly....has bluetooth, wifi & DLNA .... 3 usb ports - works with any wireless usb keyboard

This TV isn't missing anything as far as Android is concerned, even have notifications

• Like Like x 4
  11. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

I have this TV as well. I am sure a lot of you are on G+ but if you aren't and you have any questions I am here to answer. In addition to what icecream said about it....it also has Coax, Composite, Component and 4 HDMI inputs. The technical specs may be a little low but for the price there is plenty of power in there. I have yet to run any benchmark programs on it but if there is one you guys suggest please provide a name and I will check it out.

The TV has been available since at least December of 2013. If you look at the reviews the first one is back then. Based on dates in the software it appears it was manufactured in September. I have sen dates indicating as early as May of 2013.

Hisense will release their full line of TV ranging from 55" all the up to 80" with this technology and other very similar technology including a Roku TV. The first of it's kind. As far as the interface of this TV goes. There are a few videos floating around of the Hisense TV line and none of them really look like this one. However if you wanted to get a look at what this TV looks like you should check out the Pulse Pro (also due out March this year) as this looks the most like what you will get if you buy this.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  12. deadringer28

I have this TV sitting in front of my Vizio until it finds a permanent place in my home and when I power on the Hisense, the Vizio also turns on. So your assessment appears to be 100% correct.

13. ChrisG8

That settles that, you actually have two Hisense sets there although Vizio does provide required specifications which could be better or worse than this set. This Hisense 40" set at $300 is a great deal in my opinion but I am going to wait for the Pulse Pro and consider buying it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ChrisG8

• Like Like x 2
  15. deadringer28

ChrisG8...oddly that is the first time I have ever seen that article and yes 100% that is the TV that I have. I will most likely get the Pulse Pro as well. The interface and 4.2.2 OS are enough to make me buy it and have it in my office. If it comes out at 150 I might wait a bit. If it is 99 bucks from day one I will own it.

16. CatfishRivers

I'm wondering if most of the apps that 'work' with this TV need to be sideloaded? IMO that is one of the big problems with the LG GTV Jellybean televisions - most of the apps that 'work' aren't optimized for GTV and don't show up in the play store for the LG models. In many cases sideloaded apps probably aren't as good as a TV optimized apps would be. Sideloading might be fine for tech enthusiasts - but that's a niche market and it won't help GTV achieve mass adoption.

Also has anyone tested the Flash workarounds (with alternate browsers such as Flashfox or Puffin)?

With the LG GTV Jellybean televisions it has been reported that the only real Flash workaround that produces 'good quality' video involves using Splashtop in conjunction with a PC.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  17. BubbaHotep

BubbaHotep New Member

Looks like they are sold out now.. I tried to add to cart, but it's greyed out now. looks like a great replacement for my 32" LCD + Revue in the bedroom.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

i would much rather wait for some traction and the announced pulse pro... and even then considering Hisense previous effort on GTV,,, i dont know if i trust them to run with the ball.. its a neat gadget but... i would much rather have samsung make my tv,,, and just tack on a settop gtv,, but im not even sure if i will ever go the GTV route again... but i know i would never buy a tv with it built in,,,, just seems like a lot of bad idea in that one,, even if it can do all android things... what is the development cycle... and the software release, and tech support,,, these are the same folks that made the pulse..... and that one did really super....

jmho

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  19. deadringer28

If your holding out for pulse pro, this IS a pulse pro with a 40" screen for $150 more.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ChrisG8

Yes, that is how it looks to me although I am not sure the Pulse Pro is going to be priced at $150 when it is actually available for purchase.

• Like Like x 2