Quantcast

Higher resolution audio when using tablet than computer

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by HamDog, Sep 29, 2013.

1. HamDog

HamDog Member

Got my Chromecast a few days ago and just discovered I get higher resolution audio from my tablet than my laptop. Here is the scenario:

I connected my Chromecast to my Blu-Ray player's HDMI input (I have an Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray player which has various types of digital inputs). When I play music from my laptop, I use Google Music in the Chrome browser. I transmit that to my Chromecast and my Oppo states the music stream is at LPCM 2.0 32K.

But when I open the Google Music app on my tablet (Nexus 7) and transmit the same song to my Chromecast, my Oppo tells me the streaming music is LPCM 2.0 44.1K.

Any reason why I get higher resolution audio from my tablet than my laptop???

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Great Blu-ray player. I am not sure why the laptop is only 32kHz while the tablet sends 44.1kHz but I suspect the optimized Chromecast app for a tablets/smart phones allows for higher resolutions than the Chrome browser casting. I briefly tried using a laptop Chrome browser casting video and it was much lower quality than the Chromecast app used with a tablet. It might be browser tab casting quality will be improved or it will always be lower quality. That might be a result of DRM or it might be a laptop with greater processing power will be needed for acceptable quality. I don't think there is a setting that will change the laptop resolution but I haven't done much with PC Chrome browser casting.

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    +1

Right now there are only two "Cast optimized sites" available on laptop/PC/Mac [Netflix & YouTube] vs four (native) "cast apps" available on phone/tablets [Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Music & Google Play Movies].

Two available options for casting form a laptop; "Direct playback" or "Tab Projection".
    "Direct playback" is only for "Cast optimized sites" (w/ audio options e.g., Netflix 5.1DD+ 48 Khz / 2ch PCM 44.1 Khz or YouTube 2ch PCM 44.1 Khz).
    "Tab Projection" mirrors over the contents of the Chrome Browser (audio is restricted by browser 2ch PCM 32 Khz) - more here.

if you're looking for higher resolution audio, I'd say follow up on the "Cast optimized sites" list updates.

4. HamDog

HamDog Member

Thank you both for the explanations. I read in other places that when controlling the Chromecast through the tablet's apps, Chromecast communicates directly with your wifi, it doesn't get the stream from the tablet. But when dealing with the Chrome browser, the browser sends the stream to Chromecast.

One thing I've noticed on my laptop: When streaming via Chrome to Chromecast, the fans in my laptop come on really strong. This is suggesting heavy CPU utilization in the laptop. During normal usage (even when playing HD videos and streaming music), my laptop's fans never kick on. They only seem to turn on when sending the info to Chromecast.

Problem is that I like using Spotify to stream music. And this can only be done via the Chrome plug-in using my laptop. I'll have to wait until Spotify has an app for Android which can stream to Chromecast. Hopefully it's not too far in the future.

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

That's only in case of "Tab Projection".

"Direct playback" (via laptop/PC/Mac); Chromecast communicates also directly with your wifi when you cast a "Cast optimized site" e.g., Netflix & YouTube.
    "Direct playback" (via phone/tablet); Chromecast communicates directly with your wifi when you cast a (native) "Cast App" e.g., Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Music & Google Play Movies.

"Tab Projection" (via laptop/PC/Mac); the browser sends the stream to Chromecast.
    "Tab Projection" (via phone/tablet): not available.

... more here.

this heavy CPU utilization due to "Tab Projection". "Direct playback" is like normal usage. Try & cast from YouTube site on your laptop & monitor the fan.
    remember to click on the "cast button" located at lower right corner (of the web player) for "Direct playback" - here

6. HamDog

HamDog Member

Thanks for that info. Makes perfect sense. It's just a waiting game for more apps and Chromecast optimized pages for Chrome.