Quantcast
  1. arthurportas

arthurportas New Member

HI

I have an LG Smart Tv, and i'm an post-graduate computer science engineer.
    I'm interested in developing apps for google tv and i'm glad this forum exists.
    Hope to find and give answers around here.

regards,

Arthur Portas

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum! And since you offered I do indeed have a question -:)

Since the current apps for Google TV are being configured to run on the Intel x86 processors - what will be involved in making these apps run on ARM processors later on? As you are probably aware there is currently a Google TV sdk (software development kit). It is now being reported in news articles that the next generation of Google TV hardware will likely run on ARM processors.

3. Donaldt

Donaldt New Member

I read the applications written with the Google SDK does not need translation because it is written for a generic virtual machine called Dalvik which is available on all Android devices. The problem I read for Google TV has to do with programs written with the NDK which is written with the processors native programming language and that it cannot not be easily translated for other processor. I think the ARM and INETL processors are completely different and you cannot exchange the native processor code between the two. From what I read NDK programming makes the program runs faster and allow the developer to go beyond the programming capabilities of the SDK which is why a lot of graphic orientated programs use it. I cannot post links but on the development page for Google TV but they said the NDK is not supported at all not even with the INETL NDK. Maybe this is part of the Googles plan to makening the Android universal with Ice Cream Sandwich by eliminating compatibility to the programming tools and code which are processor dependent. If I am right then programs written with the SDK can be ran on any Android device but NDK limits compatibility to the kind of Android device processor.

4. arthurportas

arthurportas New Member

Hi,
    as long as you stay away from NDK, which is not supported on google tv, no care about processor details.