Quantcast

HEVC video compression halves bitrate, keeps quality the same

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Apr 9, 2013.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am not saying I believe it is true since I have seen a lot of false claims but if it is, I suspect our Google TVs and other media players will soon be obsolete, maybe 5 years. I guess I don't know for a fact the existing hardware we are using can't be updated to handle H.265 but I sure don't think it can.

HEVC video compression halves bitrate, keeps quality the same | PCWorld

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Very interesting. IMO Google will love this H.265 technology (people using less resources to consume more YouTube content) - however IMO broadband providers (that push more expensive faster internet speeds, data constraints etc.) won't be crazy about this. Streaming a 720P video at only 1.5 mbps without any noticeable difference in quality is great! -:)

* Yeah for hardware acceleration the H.265 videos will require the processor to be compliant with that format.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

4. ChrisG8

I skimmed over the Wikipedia article which appears to be up to date and I am inclined to believe H265 is very promising and very far along in the development process.

High Efficiency Video Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as which chips can be used, I still don't know. Demos have been done using the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4, a common chip in widespread use today but I don't know that means it can be ceritified and that similar chips can be used.

5. ChrisG8

I would certainly expect licensing fees which will probably kill any chance of updating my PS3 or other players which might otherwise be capable. I don't know if the Chinese Android mini PC manufacturers even bother with paying license fees, which might mean some of those will be capable.