Quantcast

Here's Why People Would Buy Amazon's Echo, The Weird Device That Listens To Everything You Say

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 6, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here s why people would buy Amazon s Echo the weird device that listens to everything you say The Verge (click for full article)

By Chris Plante on November 6, 2014 01:07 pm @plante

-- It's not hard to understand the Amazon Echo.

Today Amazon announced the the device, a 360-degree speaker that plays music and podcasts at the command of your voice. The Echo also functions as an all-in-one A.I. servant, answering banal questions about pounds to ounces or how to spell alligator. You know, like Siri.

In fact, "Siri but crappier" seems to be the hot take floating around the tech sphere, a new niche pool I've found myself wading through, where men tell you why sh*t sucks until it's popular, and then they tell you why it's the future even though it's a thing of the past.

"SIRI BUT CRAPPIER" SEEMS TO BE THE HOT TAKE FLOATING AROUND THE TECH SPHERE

Echo isn't that. For normal people, tech objects are their bluntest component. Millions of people use the iPhone mostly as a phone, thousands of others use Apple TV as a Netflix box. The Echo is a speaker and it will be used by me and plenty others as just that. That's what has me on board.

The Siri-like feature is the added touch, something I might get in the habit of using the way I got in the habit of using Microsoft Kinect's more expansive voice commands after months of simply using it to turn my TV on and off. Unlike my iPhone, which I never control with voice commands, and regularly forget features Siri, the Echo has at least some small shot at becoming the robot I speak to in my day-to-day life.

Read more at: Here s why people would buy Amazon s Echo the weird device that listens to everything you say The Verge

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

3. CatfishRivers