Quantcast

Help with Wireless Connection with Sony NSZGS8

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by chaz, Jun 25, 2014.

1. chaz

chaz New Member

I'm having problems with all Google App's as well as Netflix while using my Verizon (unlimited data) account with my Motorola Droid Razr.
    I set up Wi-Fi Hot spot on my cell phone and connected the Sony box to the hot spot.
    The Sony box says System Settings say Wi-Fi is connected, Signal Strength is Excellent, Link Speed varies from 19Mbps up to 70Mbps.
    But...... takes forever to get an internet site through Google Chrome and Netflix just won't connect (little boxes dance all day long).

Is the problem a matter related to the connection speed, Verizon doing something in the back ground, or is just the nature of the beast?
    The Sony box worked well using a direct DSL line at 10Mbps but we no longer have DSL.

Are there any solutions, work arounds, connect a wireless router to the Sony box directly?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

We have AT&T unlimited data, no connection using a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot is permitted. Unlimited data is for that phone only and I would very surprised if Verizon allows unlimited data when using a phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. I was going to save a lot of money, disconnect our internet service and use our phone service data but that just isn't possible. I suspect it doesn't work for you for the very same reason but your phone contract should spell out the terms.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

You might be a good candidate for a miracast device that would let you mirror what you're watching on your phone to your TV (Chromecast won't work). None of the Cell Carriers allow their unlimited service to be used as a replacement for home broadband. If your usage doesn't go up drastically, you may be able to get away without being caught/cancelled; but you'll have to do some searches on other forums that discuss cell phone tethering.