Quantcast

Help with streaming video

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by scorpion1206, Apr 8, 2013.

1. scorpion1206

scorpion1206 New Member

Alright, so I don't have a DLNA server? How can I stream video(movies/tv shows) from my laptop to my co-star. Anything would help

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

ViMu (formerly GtvBox) will play videos from network file shares.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You don't have a DLNA server now but you could buy the Plex Google TV app for 99 cents and install the Plex media server for free, it is one of the more popular Google TV options but certainly not the only one.

4. mogulman

mogulman New Member

I setup something a little different so I can stream to my tablets, phone, PCs and Co-star without setting up DLNA servers. My Nook tablet does not have DLNA capability. Windows has a webserver (IIS). Install it. In the root directory I create a movies directory. I put the movies there. I have to convert all movies to mp4 streaming format. Streaming format moves the header info to the beginning of the file. I enable directory browsing on the webserver. Go to the webserver using the Co-star web browser (i.e. 192.168.1.199/movies/mp4). You will see a list of movies. Click on it and it will play right away. I use DVD Catalyst to do the conversion. I can give more details.

5. heyted

heyted New Member

Install Ubuntu, and then install Rygel.
    Home | Ubuntu
    https://live.gnome.org/Rygel

6. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

scorpion1206,
    If you don't mind me asking, just how old is your laptop? Does it have a wifi adapter installed? What operating system are you running? If your laptop is too old to have wifi capability then none of the previous suggestions are going to work. The first thing you need to do is verify that you do in fact have wifi. If you don't there are several internal wifi adapters that can be installed on your laptop. A cheaper and easier to install alternative is a USB wifi dongle such as this: For only $6.32 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Ultra-Mini USB Wireless Lan 802.11N Adapter - 1T1R (150Mbps)
    If your laptop does have wifi and all you want to do is stream movies and music to your costar, this can be done easily using Windows Media Player on your laptop and Playpoint on the Costar. These are generalities, for more specific instructions the capabilities of your laptop (wifi/usb) and operating systems (Windows Version/Apple) need to be known.

7. herculese1

herculese1 New Member

you could just install PS3 media server on your laptop. PS3 Media Server
    Just share the location of the movies/tv shows in that application.
    On the costar just open up the PlayPoint app and select the ps3media server.
    You should now be able to play all of your movies/tvshows.