Quantcast

Help with Router Choice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Karen, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Karen

Karen New Member

I am posting this question here since I can't seem to get help anywhere else:

I just switched my wifi service from the local phone company to 4G WiMax. I want to move my modem away from my pc to a more central location in the house, and I need a router.

Any advice on which/who/what kind to buy? We are looking at probably seven or so wifi devices, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I'd gravitate towards Linksys, Broadcom chipsets only, and particularly ones that support flashing to 3rd-party firmwares, which significantly improve functionality and reliability. My preferred routers I install: Linksys WRT54G series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Here is a list of DD-WRT compatible models you can shop for..some are N if you chose, but I've never found a need (you can bump up the radio output in DD-WRT):Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com {search for Linksys}. HTH! :)

You *could* also buy a Buffalo which already runs DD-WRT by default: http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-Wireless-N-Essential-WHR-HP-G300N/dp/B002WBV2T8
    :D (I didn't know about this until I Googled it!)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  3. Karen

Karen New Member

Thanks, alpha. Appreciate the assist.