Quantcast

Help with LG GA7900 - location service and HBO GO or otherapps

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by lisa busto, Oct 9, 2014.

1. lisa busto

lisa busto New Member

I own the LG GA7900 Google Play TV, and am unable to download any new apps such as HBO GO, because it keeps telling me that Google location is off - but it is not - both in Google+ itself, I have location on, and on the tv itself, in location setttings, I have it turned on. But when I go to manage android devices, I keep getting the message that my TV cannot be located, which also means, I cannot download the app. I bought this TV so I would not have to plug my TV into the computer - I already had a TV I could do that with, where I'd play HBO GO on the TV and connect it via HD to so I could watch on a larger screen - LG 'tech support' is completely useless - the only thing they can ever do, after waiting to get transferred 3 times to the 'right technicians' is tell me to totally reset the TV to factory settings and try again! I have already, though the TV is not even a year old had to have the entire board replaced because the Wifi went, and had to reset from the start and they can't explain why resetting should fix this issue, so it's clear they are just reading from a script and have zero clue what they are talking about. Has anyone successfully loaded new apps such as HBO GO from the google play store to this same model and if so, can you help? Thanks

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I would try resetting your router. Also I have read that only a sideloaded version of an older HBO GO APK will work on the GTV Jellybean televisions. In other words the current version of HBO GO in the Play store doesn't work with your GTV model. Are you trying to download HBO GO directly from the Play Store - or are you trying to sideload it?

You'll need to find an older version of the HBO GO app on the internet and then sideload it. Try doing a search for HBO GO APK. EricD has an LG GTV Jellybean television and he sideloaded an older working HBO GO app - so if he reads this he can probably point you in the right direction for finding an older HBO GO app that works.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  3. ericd

ericd Active Member

I've got a 6400, not sure how much of a difference there is between it and yours but I've never had a problem with any app requiring my location. As Catfish noted, most apps won't download directly from the Playstore. You'll have to sideload almost all of them. I've got a few apps in my dropbox, if you let me know what your looking for, I'll see if I have the APK.

Here's the older HBO go app that works on my 6400 (later versions install and load up but the videos don't play)

Dropbox - HBOGO_2.0.1.apk

4. lisa busto

lisa busto New Member

I hate to be very stupid, but I don't know what it means to 'sideload'. I am actually a computer programmer, but I am all mainframe and my knowledge of android, and other operating systems outside MVS is nil. I was trying to load from the playstore, so if someone can explain what sideload means, that would be great - I do not understand why I cannot just go to HBOGO on chrome and watch from there - I cannot get to a sign in that way when I do it on the tv - I have to bring it up on my VAIO laptop, and connect my VAIO to the TV with an HD cable - but I already HAVE a TV I could do that with, the whole purpose in getting this tv was to avoid doing that. If you could explain sideload, or how/where I am missing the sign in for HBO GO when I go to it from the LA7900 Google Play TV via browser, that would be such a help - I spent hours trying to get this to work, and instead of enjoying this TV rue the day I bought it - I don't want to be an expert in other operating systems, so I don't think these were ready for public consumption yet - when I build a business mainframe system, my users do NOT need to know a bunch of details about how things work under the covers which is not true of much of the so called 'smart' devices out there today

5. lisa busto

lisa busto New Member

6. lisa busto

lisa busto New Member

Sorry, I have one more question - can someone tell me how to close the tabs on the google chrome browser? I have tried both gesture on the 'magic' remote (to click on the 'x' in the tab) and menu and neither work - the menu button on remote has option to open new tabs, but not close others, and I cannot get my gesture to work for anything - it turns on but I cannot get it anywhere near something I want to put it on, no matter how I have tried - I expected it to 'feel' much like a mouse or touch pad, but by the time I get it anywhere near the 'x' to close a tab as you would on say your laptop, the gesture turns off (I may need to contact LG to see if there are issues with the remote, but that is another issue - there should be some menu type way or something outside gesture to close the tab, and I just can't find it in help information... Thanks so much to anyone who can help with this...

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I will try to answer a couple of the easier questions, I am a long term Google TV user but not very technical. Sideload is just the term used for the process of installing apps from a source other than Google Play. To be able to do that go to apps>settings>applications>unknown sources. A free file explorer app available from Google Play is the simple way, open the download using the app and follow the simple instructions. Other than recommended apps like HBO GO linked above, I think it is a bad idea to sideload apps, most apps not intended for Google TV won't run well and create issues. There are certainly exceptions, this is a good place to learn of the exceptions. I only run one sideloaded app.

The HBO GO browser version no longer works with the Google TV Chrome browser, I assume because the service now requires a different version of Adobe Flash, not supported by Google TV. You don't want to use a browser for HBO GO if you can use a native app anyway, at least I should say I don't and don't believe anybody else would either.

To close browser tabs go to menu>windows select the window you want closed and click x.

Others can answer technical questions since I can't.

8. lisa busto

lisa busto New Member

9. lisa busto

lisa busto New Member

I appreciate the response but our tvs must be different when I open menu it does NOT show me the windows open to close them....or, do you mean menu on the browser versus on the magic remote (opening menu on magic remote only gives options like open new tabs, a bunch of others, but nothing related to any current tab open - I have like 20 tabs open and the only way currently I can close them is to delete all the data associated to the application, and even that does not always work...thanks!

10. lisa busto

lisa busto New Member

Maybe I should also specify again, mine is an LG Google Play tv - I do not have apps > settings > apps > unknown sources. I can get to applications thru settings, and frtom there it allows me to check unknown sources to allow them, is that what you meant? Thanks

11. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I understand you have an LG TV. By apps>settings, I just meant select the settings app to get to unknown sources to check that box to allow sideloading apps. It appears you did that.

I don't have an LG Google TV but the options for the browser will have an easy way to close windows, so yes with your browser open select the browser menu. If you can't figure it out, someone with your specific model will have the button to push to do that. With previous models it is just the button with three bars parallel, I assumed that hadn't changed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ericd

ericd Active Member

Lisa, I understand your frustration. GTV doesn't have the most intuitive UI, but once you learn the basic controls and executions, it gets a lot better.

Like you, I've never had much luck using the browser to watch video so sideloading becomes almost a necessity.

The way I sideload is

Start with an Android device that has full Playstore access (I use a Galaxy Tab II, but almost any phone or Tablet that runs a version of Android above 4.0 will do {3.0 if your TV isn't updated to Jellybean})

Download the App you want onto the phone or tablet your sideloading from

Download an App sharing application onto the tablet or phone (there's a number of them available. Here's the easiest one I've found Dropbox - ShareApps_1.9.8.apk

Download and open a Dropbox account on both devices (the TV and the phone or tablet your using both need the Dropbox app installed.) It's easier to open your account on a computer, then you only need to transfer your sign in info into the Android devices.Dropbox - Dropbox_2.3.11.4.apk

Open the "Share Apps" application on the phone or tablet you downloaded the app you want to sideload to the TV. There should be a list of apps running horizontally, scroll down until you find the app you want then click on it. A window will pop up, click the "share" tab in the pop up, then click "add to Dropbox". It usually takes a few minutes for the app to be uploaded to your Dropbox account but once it's there it will also appear on the TV's Dropbox once you open the TV's Dropbox App. Click the approppriate app within the TV's Dropbox and it will begin installing the app.

If that sounds like too much to handle, just let us know what app you need and me or somebody else should be able to post up the app here for you. To get the apps from here to your TV just open your Tv's browser to this page and once you click on the purple links within this thread, the apps should begin installing. I usually only leave my Dropbox links up for a couple days, then I remove them.

As Chris said earlier, sideloading isn't really an optimal method of installing apps to your TV. A lot of them don't work as intended and aquiring the APK's from unknown sources can really lead to trouble from scammers. If you don't want to bother with sideloading, I'd advise returning the TV and purchasing a cheaper "dumb" TV and a $49 Roku streaming stick.

All the Dropbox links I post are sideloaded by me straight off the Playstore using the above method. To get the apps to install you have to allow apps to install from unknown sources.

To get to that screen, click the "home" button on your remote

then click either the "menu" button on the remote (which leads to a separate pop-up screen with "system settings" as the last choice) or find the settings app (3 horizontal lines with a dot at the end of each) and click it

Scroll down 8 times to the "Application" tab

Check the "unknown sources" and "verify apps" buttons

To close the Tabs in your browser, just click the "X" button at the end of the tab you want to close. If that doesn't work for you, theres something amiss. Try unplugging the TV for a couple minutes. If that doesn't work you may need to do a factory reset. I'll walk you through that iff need be

13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Videos that require Adobe Flash won't work with the Chrome browser on the LG GTV television because the web browser doesn't support Flash. HBO GO is one of the web sites that uses Flash. Also several web sites such as Hulu and the network TV web sites block the GTV browser.

14. lisa busto

lisa busto New Member

When I try this from Google Chrome (I am sorry I don't know how to use dropbox) but making sure I look for HBOGO 2.0.1, what installs is Android Armor, and it crashes - do you have any idea what I am doing wrong, or can you tell me how to use dropbox on the tv? If I can't install HBO GO I assume I won't be able to install dropbox. Again, I am sorry to be so stupid, I don't have an android smart phone and honestly, if it is going to continue to require me to learn and understand android OS, I will keep plugging my VAIO in to watch max or hbo go on large screen, because I just don't have hours to try to figure out something that seems to me should be simple. A gain, I do not think this was really ready for the public at large... Thanks for any further assistance

15. lisa busto

lisa busto New Member

I got it finally - thank you for your help!

16. ericd

ericd Active Member

Did you get the HBO app to work?

If not, you'll need to enable unknown sources (instructions at the bottom of my big post) open your TV's browser to Google TV Forums, enter this thread and hit the purple link.Select "download" A popup will ask how you want to open the file, select Chrome then hit "once" at the bottom... sometimes it'll ask again, just do the same. Once the download begins, back out of Chrome and hit "home" on the remote. You should have a number 1 in your "notifications", click on it and the download should be right there. Hit the tab and the app should begin installing

Here's the Maxgo app, like HBO it's an older version (the newer one doesn't work for me) Dropbox - MAXGO_2.2.05.apk

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014